• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE Brazil - What would you do?? (1 Viewer)

Nick Brooks

I am organising a trip to SE Brazil in Septemeber and have already arranged trips to Pantanal and Chapada. I now have a dilemma - I wanted to go to the Cristalino Rainforest Lodge in Alta Floresta but it is fully booked. Do I reaarrange my whole trip to go in October or forget the lodge and spend two weeks travelling between Itatiaia, Ubatuba, Intervales, Canastra and Iguazu Falls instead of the one week I had planned just visiting a couple of these sites? Or is a trip to Emas NP a good substitute. Would appreciate advice from anybody who has done trips here - I will be travelling alone. Thanks

There is more than enough to keep you fully occupied in the south east for two weeks, I would go for that. You should also consider Guapi Assu it is a fabulous place to stay and has some excellent birds, including Shrike-like Cotinga. The lodge overlooks some excellent wetland, with if you are lucky Giant Snipes.

Visit www.regua.co.uk

Hope you enjoy Brazil.
Mark

I am organising a trip to SE Brazil in Septemeber and have already arranged trips to Pantanal and Chapada. I now have a dilemma - I wanted to go to the Cristalino Rainforest Lodge in Alta Floresta but it is fully booked. Do I reaarrange my whole trip to go in October or forget the lodge and spend two weeks travelling between Itatiaia, Ubatuba, Intervales, Canastra and Iguazu Falls instead of the one week I had planned just visiting a couple of these sites? Or is a trip to Emas NP a good substitute. Would appreciate advice from anybody who has done trips here - I will be travelling alone. Thanks

Hi Nick,

My name is Marcelo and I am a Birdwatching guide based in Cuiaba. I think Visiting Cristalino is great, but if the place is fully booked I think you could visit a little lodge in the transition zone between the Cerrado and the Amazon. This place is called Jardim da Amazonia. The area is suffering a lot of pressure from agriculture, but it offers a lot amazonian birds, such as black girdled barbet, Amazonian Umbrellabird, Pompadour cotinga and many others. then you could spend one night at Currupira das Araras and try to spot the Harpy eagle and then visit Emas National Park. I think with the pantanal and Chapada this trip can produce more than 350 species of birds.

Best Wishes,

Marcelo Pena Padua

Thanks for the help

Thanks to you all for replying to my RFI. I am now back and eventuially ended up going to Alta Floresta as a room became available. Also did the Pantanal, Chapada, Guapi Assau (just down the ropad from Tucanos), Itatiaia and Ubatuba. Had a great trip and ended up with 530 species (and still counting). Will post a trip report here once I catch with being off work for almost a month.

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back