• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea Duck ? (1 Viewer)

Nigel G

Seen on its own this afternoon in Chesil Cove. Swam continously in a large rectangle from almost the beach to about 200 yds offshore. Not seen to dive but when raised up to wing stretch showed a pale belly with a distinct demarcation to the darker breast.

I've been through Scooters, Scaup and various others in my guide but can't match the strong dark bill with the redish head and breast and the pale back.

Attachments

• Duck Query 1.jpg
    Duck Query 1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 222
  • Duck Query2.jpg
    Duck Query2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 163
Thanks Andrew and Passavy - Not so difficult when you point it out. I guess it was the location that led to the confusion - I'm more use to seeing them on gravel pits or at least esturine conditions rather than open sea and a pebble beach.

I saw a male pochard at Ruddons Point Fife at the weekend. It flew around for ages and then finally landed with a group of half a dozen Scaup. It looked all at sea there!!!

Female Pochard,as said already...
At the German part of the Baltic Sea coast, you always see pochards (often together with Tufted Duck and Greater Scaup on the Sea in Winter though they prefer sheltered bays to open shores.
Not commonly on sea at the German North Sea Coast , though...

Woodchatshrike said:
I saw a male pochard at Ruddons Point Fife at the weekend. It flew around for ages and then finally landed with a group of half a dozen Scaup. It looked all at sea there!!!

I think there used to be a reasonable wintering flock of Pochard (along with loads of Scaup, Goldeneye and Tufted Duck) off Methil Power Station. They're a bit unusual in other coastal situations I suppose but, like any duck, can turn up on the sea from time to time.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back