• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Semicollared Flycatcher female? Kuwait (1 Viewer)

NicoleB

Nature addict
Could it be or am I totally off the track?

Taken yesterday at the Golf course and the only shot I got :(

Thanks for checking & B :)
Nicole

Attachments

• uid 07 sahara golf  march 29th (1 of 1).jpg
    uid 07 sahara golf march 29th (1 of 1).jpg
    315 KB · Views: 191
Why not a Collared Flycatcher?

I can't find it listed for Kuwait (Not on the annotated Checklist nor at AR's Site)

Plus, I really don't see the big white patch on the wing on this one that the collared has.

PS: I go by the way the Collins has them depicted, so, not sure if that's the correct way to see it,...

Seems right to me - Semi-collared - isn't the primary patch much too small for a typical Collared? Also, the white tips to the median coverts, quite evident on the photo support Semi-c. Oops I see I posted the same time as Nicole. I think there is less variation in Collared in the spring than the autumn - mind you they are variable

Seems right to me - Semi-collared - isn't the primary patch much too small for a typical Collared? Also, the white tips to the median coverts, quite evident on the photo support Semi-c. Oops I see I posted the same time as Nicole. I think there is less variation in Collared in the spring than the autumn - mind you they are variable

Ok, what about the Collared FC not being listed for Kuwait though?
(At least not anywhere where I could find it)

Looks like a semi-collared, which are fairly common on passage through Kuwait at this time of year.

Ok, what about the Collared FC not being listed for Kuwait though?
(At least not anywhere where I could find it)

I personally don't know details of passage migrants generally in Kuwait but if its not on the (an?) official list you should submit this one as its looks pretty solid. Stew says they are regular passage migrants so the discrepancy seems strange.

Maybe somebody here can further clarify its status?

Look out for the cracking spring males - if the females are coming through in any numbers, then the males must be too!

Not sure about the status in Kuwait but Stew was refering to Semicollared and Nicole to Collared, Simon.
Tertial design and short white bar on median coverts make me believe it's a Semicollared.

Thanks, everyone!

Thanks Motmot, just ignore me - multitasking isn't my strong point but I thought I could at least read...

No worries, Simon, you probably just got my reply about the collared out of context.
I was in line with the Semi-collared :)

I was hoping we would go back today, ..., oh well, maybe Sunday :)

Btw. another Lifer,...dummdidumm..... :D

Looks like a semi-collared, which are fairly common on passage through Kuwait at this time of year.

Can you tell me where you read that it's a fairly common passage migrant?

I thought I read that too, but on both, Abdul Rahman Al-Sirhan's list (which is, I think made accordingly to the OSK records) and the OSK's Checklist, I read this morning that it's an uncommon passage migrant *scratches head* - I think I DO need new glasses,...

High Density count in 2008 was a whole two of them.... so, fat chance for me to see a male *sigh*
;)

yes i meant Canon, whatever.

but really for the full frame or larger than 4/3 format i think 400mm is the least.

....rub it in....

I was hoping hubby had to go to the States and bring back the 80-400mm....but no such luck ;)

Until then I have to work with my 18-200mm, since the prices here are just totally insane & online ordering is not an option right now!

As far as finding the birds goes,... my own fault I'm not driving here. I could go to most of the areas, but me in a car here would drive my husband nuts and I would probably end up strangling some moron ;)

Sorry for the late reply nicole....

I base the status on personal experience. Saw several in the migrant hotspots of Jara Farms and Tulha reserve when we visited.

Stew

Sorry for the late reply nicole....

I base the status on personal experience. Saw several in the migrant hotspots of Jara Farms and Tulha reserve when we visited.

Stew

No worries :)
Thanks though!

Wish that area wasn't such a pain in the behind for me to reach :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back