• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths (1 Viewer)

KenM

All arrived after midnight and were processed this am- Copper Underwing, 2 Dusty Waves,
3 LYU, Light Emerald, Brimstone and Straw Underwing + requisite Hornet and 3 attendant Wasps, without the “stingers” nine of six.

Attachments

• IMG_7785.jpeg
    IMG_7785.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7784.jpeg
    IMG_7784.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 2
It was quite cool last night, 5.8C, so just 8 moths of 4 species with 2 Canary-shouldered Thorn the highlights. Also 2 rather worn Plain Clay, a single Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing and 3 Large Yellow Underwing.
Similar for me, 2 Lesser BBYU, 3 LYU, Small Dusty Wave, MOP, Straw Underwing and an Old Lady.

Attachments

• IMG_7807.jpeg
    IMG_7807.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Quite a good night weather-wise here but just a modest catch, 54 of 20.
Significant for me were three NFY: my latest ever Argyresthia goedartella, my first Burnished Brass for four years (also my latest record) and a Centre-barred Sallow.
Only Large YU in double figures, 14.

My second attempt with the new trap on Friday night/Sat morning:

A couple of Large Yellow Underwings, 3 Brimstones, 2 Straw Underwings, 1 Dusty Wave, 2 Double Stiped Pugs, 1 exceptionally large female Orange Swift, a couple of Vine's Rustics, a couple of Square Spot Rustic, 1 Pale Mottled Wilow, 1 morning Glory Plume, several Grass Veneers (common and elbow), several escapees. New for me was a Ruddy Streak, a Grey Knot Horn, a Lesser Broad-Boarded Yellow Underwing, a small ermine (can't tell which) and what I think were Nut Leaf Blister Moths. Non moth wise an annoyed Forest Bug.

My second attempt with the new trap on Friday night/Sat morning:

A couple of Large Yellow Underwings, 3 Brimstones, 2 Straw Underwings, 1 Dusty Wave, 2 Double Stiped Pugs, 1 exceptionally large female Orange Swift, a couple of Vine's Rustics, a couple of Square Spot Rustic, 1 Pale Mottled Wilow, 1 morning Glory Plume, several Grass Veneers (common and elbow), several escapees. New for me was a Ruddy Streak, a Grey Knot Horn, a Lesser Broad-Boarded Yellow Underwing, a small ermine (can't tell which) and what I think were Nut Leaf Blister Moths. Non moth wise an annoyed Forest Bug.
How exceptionally large? Have you considered Ghost Moth?

Anyway, 30/15 spp in my trap last night including couple of micros to ID later. Square-spot Rustic hit the front with 9, nothing else got past 2.

John

Anyway, 30/15 spp in my trap last night including couple of micros to ID later. Square-spot Rustic hit the front with 9, nothing else got past 2.

John

Definitely Orange Swift - just at the top end of the female size range. I think it was the comparison with last week's more average sized males that caught me by surprise.

John
Ghost Moths should be well & truly over with a flight period of June/July, but these days so many anomalies with wildlife.

Best night to date for me 20 of 47 to include 20 Light Emeralds!….with this Vestal being only my 2nd occurrence.

Attachments

• IMG_7952.jpeg
    IMG_7952.jpeg
    878.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Really good night Friday night with a few new to me (only third night trapping though :) ):

Clancy's Rustic, Feathered Gothic, Willow Beauty, Shuttle-Shaped Dart, Light Brown Apple Moth and Garden Carpet were new for me and also had Large Yellow Underwing, Lesser Yellow Underwing, Several Flounced Rustics, Vine's Rustics, Brimstones, Square Spot Rustic, Dusty Waves, Pale Mottled Willow Moth, Hebrew Character, Small Dusty Waves and a number of micros.

Really warm on Friday night, the low was 15.4c, so 32 moths of 16 species was quite good for the time of year. New for the year, a pristine Black Rustic, Chevron, Brown-spot Pinion, Mouse Moth, Angle-striped Sallow and Diamond-back Moth.

My best night so far this year with 18 of 58 to include- c23 Light Emeralds, Dark Sword Grass, SilverY and an odd looking Maiden’s Blush.

Attachments

• IMG_8034.jpeg
    IMG_8034.jpeg
    468.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8023.jpeg
    IMG_8023.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8038.jpeg
    IMG_8038.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 11
A wet night up in God's Own County so I had the trap in the greenhouse entrance. Just nine of seven species but Black Rustic was NFY and Ypsolopha sylvella a new species for me, so worth getting damp.

Attachments

• Ypsolopha sylvella 110923 01.JPG
    Ypsolopha sylvella 110923 01.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
A week with friends (mainly birders) in Lesvos yielded several Hummingbird Hawkmoths (all in garden locations) but 2 found by day at our hotel were 2 that would be very welcome here were a Handmaid/Fammula & a Geometrician.

Back to reality with a session at dawn today at a local nature reserve with 17 species with highlights being Centre-barred Sallow, 4 Gold Triangle, Red-green Carpet & Acleris literana.

Here on the Hampshire coast Titchfield Haven NNR trapped musotima nitidalis last night, a first for the local area, although it seems to be spreading. It's a recent adventive from New Zealand.

Dave W

Decent catch from Friday night. A dozen Square Spot Rustics and several Pale Mottled Willows and Willow Beauties. Vines Rustic, Hebrew Character, Snout, light and dark form Box Trees, Yellow shell, shuttle shaped darts, beautiful plume, small dusty wave, several micros and two heavily worn large yellow Underwings.

Personal highlights: Feathered Ranunculus, Autumnal Rustic and Clancy's Rustic IMG_20230916_103201_MP~2.jpgIMG_20230916_101109_MP~2.jpgIMG_20230916_092350_MP~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back