• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Several schubotzi (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

• Phyllastrephus schubotzi Reichenow, 1908 OD here
  • Ploceus schubotzi Reichenow, 1908 OD here
  • Zosterops schubotzi Reichenow, 1908 OD here
  • Chloropeta schubotzi Reichenow, 1908 OD here
  • Tachymarptis aequatorialis schubotzi Reichenow, 1908 OD here
  • Cinnyris stuhlmanni schubotzi Reichenow, 1908 OD here
  • Terpsiphone rufiventer schubotzi (Reichenow, 1911) OD here
  • Peliperdix lathami schubotzi (Reichenow, 1912) OD here
  • Guttera plumifera schubotzi Reichenow, 1912 OD here
  • Barbatula chrysocoma schubotzi Reichenow, 1912 OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Greenbul sp. Phyllastrephus schubotzi Reichenow, 1908 NCR [Alt. Olive-breasted Greenbul; JS Arizelocichla kikuyuensis]
Weaver sp. Ploceus schubotzi Reichenow, 1908 NCR [Alt. Strange Weaver; JS Ploceus alienus]
White-eye sp. Zosterops schubotzi Reichenow, 1908 NCR [Alt. African Yellow White-eye; JS Zosterops senegalensis stuhlmanni]
Yellow Warbler sp. Chloropeta schubotzi Reichenow, 1908 NCR [Alt. Mountain Yellow Warbler; JS Iduna similis (Syn. Chloropeta similis)]
Mottled Swift ssp. Tachymarptis aequatorialis schubotzi Reichenow, 1908 NCR [NUI Tachymarptis aequatorialis aequatorialis]
Stuhlmann's Double-collared Sunbird ssp. Cinnyris stuhlmanni schubotzi Reichenow, 1908
Red-bellied Paradise-flycatcher ssp. Terpsiphone rufiventer schubotzi Reichenow, 1911
Schubotz's Forest Francolin Peliperdix lathami schubotzi Reichenow, 1912 [Alt. Latham's Francolin ssp.]
Schubotz's Plumed Guineafowl Guttera plumifera schubotzi Reichenow, 1912
Yellow-fronted Tinkerbird ssp. Pogoniulus chrysoconus schubotzi Reichenow, 1912 NCR [NUI Pogoniulus chrysoconus chrysoconus]
Johann G. Hermann Schubotz (1881–1955) was a German naturalist who was an Assistant in Zoology at the Humboldt University, Berlin, and participated in the two expeditions that Duke Adolf Friedrich zu Mecklenburg (q.v. under Adolf) undertook to Equatorial Africa (1907–1908 and 1910–1911). He was appointed Professor of Zoology (1916), then Cultural Attaché at the German Embassy, Stockholm (1919–1926). He emigrated from Germany to South West Africa (Namibia) (1935) where he bred sheep. He returned to Germany (1952) and worked at the Broadcoasting Corporation ('Rundfunk'). A reptile and two amphibians are named after him.

The Key to Scientific Names
Prof. Dr Johann Georg Hermann Schubotz (1881-1955) German zoologist, collector in tropical Africa 1907-1911 (syn. Arizelocichla tephrolaema kikuyuensis, syn. Chloropeta similis, subsp. Cinnyris stuhlmanni, subsp. Guttera plumifera, subsp. Peliperdix lathami, syn. Ploceus alienus, syn. Pogoniulus chrysoconus, syn. Tachymarptis aequatorialis, subsp. Terpsiphone rufiventer, syn. Zosterops senegalensis stuhlmanni).

I agree to James as we can find in here Georg which is missing in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds, The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles & The Eponym Dictionary of Amphibians.

Chamaeleo schubotzi Sternfeld, 1912 OD here
Arthroleptis schubotzi Nieden, 1911 OD here
Rana schubotzi Sternfeld, 1917 here

But there seems more animals with his name like Aleochara (Baryodma) Schubotzi, Oxytelus Schubotzi, Gordiodrilus Schubotzi etc pp.

But Reichenow seems really a friend of him (ten birds named for him). So nothing sensational new I just opend the thread as the G: was missing in the Eponyms.

This one seems to be in error.

Thinks it's his father who was Johann Georg Hermann Schubotz

Am I correct (attached)?

Johann Gustav Hermann Schubotz

Birth Date25 May 1881
Marriage Date14 Mar 1913
What Happened??? 7 Apr 1941
SpouseElisabeth Annie Charlotte Karl

There is a Johann Gustav Hermann Schubotz supposedly dying in West Africa on 7 Nov 1955 (attached) so I assume this is the wife's death in 1941?

I think however he didn't die in Africa but in Europe - one German website says Berlin another says Lugano.

Attachments

• 41911_prep811_000389-00172.jpg
    41911_prep811_000389-00172.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • record-image_ (7).jpg
    record-image_ (7).jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Am I correct (attached)?
👍

[...] so I assume this is the wife's death in 1941?
They divorced in 1941. ("Durch das am 27. März 1941 rechtkräftig gewordene Urteil des Land-Gerichts Berlin ist die Ehe zwischen dem Johann Gustav Hermann Schubotz und der Elsbeth Annie Charlotte Schubotz geborenen Karl geschieden worden". Note she's called Elsbeth in this document, not Elisabeth -- both in the marriage record itself and in the addition noting the divorce.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back