• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minor on several preussi (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Petrochelidon preussi (Reichenow, 1898) OD 6, 1898 - Ornithologische Monatsberichte - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Ploceus preussi (Reichenow, 1893) OD ser.4:Jahrg.40=no.197-198 (1892) - Journal für Ornithologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Cinnyris reichenowi preussi Reichenow, 1892 OD ser.4:Jahrg.40=no.197-198 (1892) - Journal für Ornithologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Onychognathus walleri preussi Reichenow, 1892 OD ser.4:Jahrg.40=no.197-198 (1892) - Journal für Ornithologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Graucalus preussi Reichenow, 1892 OD ser.4:Jahrg.40=no.197-198 (1892) - Journal für Ornithologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Campephaga preussi Reichenow, 1899 OD 7, 1899 - Ornithologische Monatsberichte - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Preuss's Weaver Ploceus preussi Reichenow, 1892
Preuss's Cliff Swallow Petrochelidon preussi Reichenow, 1898
African Cuckooshrike sp. Campephaga preussi Reichenow, 1899 NCR [Alt. Purple-throated Cuckooshrike; JS Campephaga quiscalina]
Grey Cuckooshrike ssp. Coracina caesia preussi Reichenow, 1892 NCR [NUI Coracina caesia pura]
Preuss's Double-collared Sunbird Cinnyris reichenowi preussi Reichenow, 1892 [Alt. Northern Double-collared Sunbird ssp.]
Waller's Starling ssp. Onychognathus walleri preussi Reichenow, 1892
Professor Paul Preuss (1861–1926) was a Poland-born German naturalist, botanist and horticulturist. He collected in He collected in West Africa (1886–1898), New Guinea (c.1903) and again in West Africa (1910). He was a member of Zintgraff's (1888– 1891) military expedition to explore the interland of Cameroon, then a German colony. Whilst storming a native village, the troop commander was killed and the second-incommand severely wounded; Preuss took over command and led the remaining troops back to the coast. He constructed the botanical gardens of Victoria (Limbe) , Cameroon (1901), being employed by the colonial government. Three mammals, an amphibian and a reptile are named after him.

Paul Preuss (1861-1926) German botanist, collector in West Africa 1886-1888 (syn. Campephaga quiscalina, syn. Ceblepyris caesius purus, syn. Chlorophoneus multicolor, subsp. Cinnyris reichenowi, subsp. Onychognathus walleri, Petrochelidon, Ploceus).

If Paul Preuß (Botaniker) – Wikipedia is correct Paul Rudolph Preuß. But looks solidly researched so why not the additional name and the ß versus ss.
His death record and other documents suggest as well the additional name. From the documents I would write his last name Preuss and not Preuß.

Feel free to correct me or add any additional information about him.
Not birds:
I am wondering why no plant was named for him if he was a botanical.

He was West Prussian and not Poland born even if the town Toruń is today part of Poland.

Attachments

• Paul Preuss.jpg
    Paul Preuss.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 5
The death record is written in Kurrent and in my opinion, there is an Eszett in the surname Preuß. Two "ss" would be the same size and shape.

Most of the death record is in Kurrent, but the family names (Wiebecke, Preuss, Shrapel) and the name of his birth town (Thorn) are in Latin script.

I read the name in the record as Preuss, like Martin. (Or, rather, Preuſs -- a long s followed by a short s.) For comparison, there is a ß in Kurrent script in Stindestraße, two lines above Preuſs.

I'm never too sure about script conventions re. ß in historical German text, though. Wasn't it, at some point, usual to turn all ß into ss (or ſs) when writing in Latin script ? 19th C issues of Journal für Ornithologie (printed in Latin script, while many German publications were printed in blackletter back then), for example, do not seem to use any ß at all. If so, finding the name spelled with -ss while in Latin script would not mean much...
- Preuss in a species description, in a scientific journal printed in Latin script : Entomologische Nachrichten
- Preuß in a note referring to the very same description, in the Deutsches Kolonialblatt, printed in blackletter : Deutsches Kolonialblatt

(My understanding is that the current convention in German would be to use ß after a diphthong like eu.)

He is given as a "Direktor, Professor, Doktor der Philosophie" in the death record; no mention of botany (or any other science).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back