• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Severtsov 1879 on 'Accentor rufilatus' (1 Viewer)

joekroex

Joek Roex
Prunella collaris rufilata was described by Severtsov in 1879 as Accentor rufilatus, in a very difficult to find document:

'Новые виды туркестанских птиц' [New Species of Turkestan Birds], Залиски Туркестан отдел Ова любит, естествознание, антропология и этнографии [Notes from the Turkestan Society of Devotees of Natural Science, Anthropology, and Ethnography] 1, no. 1 (1879), 45—57.

Has anyone found this document?

Is the transcription of the Russian correct? Am I right in presuming the Turkestan отдел Ова любит, естествознание, антропология и этнографии is a regional branch of the Moscow-based Императорское общество любителей естествознания, антропологии и этнографии [Imperial Society of Devotees of Natural Science, Anthropology, and Ethnography]?

Richmond has this down as 'Sapiski d. Turk. Abth. & Ges. der Lieb. d. Naturk.', which seems to me a combination of Russian and German abbreviations.

Quote JoekRoex:
'Новые виды туркестанских птиц' [New Species of Turkestan Birds], Залиски Туркестан отдел Ова любит, естествознание, антропология и этнографии [Notes from the Turkestan Society of Devotees of Natural Science, Anthropology, and Ethnography] 1, no. 1 (1879), 45—57.
Has anyone found this document?
Is the transcription of the Russian correct?

Hello Joek,
I seemed to remember some document on Turkestan birds, which I printed years ago, I will have to look for it in the paper piles (piles, not files . . .) In the meantime I thought it right to submit a title on the Severtzov document which you mentioned, just for the spelling of it. It is taken from the bibliographical list to Systematic notes on Asian birds, A preliminary review of the Certhiidae, no.65, Zool.Mus.Leiden 80, 2006.

Severtsov, N.A., 1873. Vertical and horizontal distribution of Turkestan animals. [In Russian].— Izdanie
obshchestva. Izvestiya imperatorskago osshch. lyibitdei estestvoznaniya, Antropologii i Etnografi i,
Moskva, 8 (2): 1-157.
I add the (English) transcription of your text:
Novye vidy Turkestanskikh ptits. Zaliski Turkestan otdyel ova lyubit, yestestvoznanye, antropologia i etnografii.

To this text with Izvestiya Imperatorskago osshch- etc. I must give the comment that the ending -ago is just the genitive of Imperatorskoye, but the osshch- is wrong, it should begin with obshch- (the shch element is just one letter, the Russian sound sh + tch). If I can dig up the printed text I mentioned, I will give the details, provided it contains (the title of) Severtzov's publication.
Cheers, Jan van der Brugge

I seemed to remember some document on Turkestan birds, which I printed years ago, I will have to look for it in the paper piles (piles, not files . . .) In the meantime I thought it right to submit a title on the Severtzov document which you mentioned, just for the spelling of it. It is taken from the bibliographical list to Systematic notes on Asian birds, A preliminary review of the Certhiidae, no.65, Zool.Mus.Leiden 80, 2006.

Severtsov, N.A., 1873. Vertical and horizontal distribution of Turkestan animals. [In Russian].— Izdanie obshchestva. Izvestiya imperatorskago osshch. lyibitdei estestvoznaniya, Antropologii i Etnografii, Moskva, 8 (2): 1-157.

Thanks, Jan, for your reply. I am aware of that one: 'Вертикальное и горизонтальное распределение Туркестанских животных' [Vertical and horizontal distribution of Turkestan fauna], Известия Императорском общества любителей естествознания, антропологии и этнографии [News of the Imperial Society of Devotees of Natural History, Anthropology and Ethnography], 8/2 (1873). It has been translated and published in parts in e.g. Zeitschift für die gesammte Ornithologie, vol. 4 (1887), Journal für Ornithologie vol. 23 (1875), Ibis, 3rd ser., vol. 5 (1875), vol. 6 (1876).

To this text with Izvestiya Imperatorskago osshch- etc. I must give the comment that the ending -ago is just the genitive of Imperatorskoye, but the osshch- is wrong, it should begin with obshch- (the shch element is just one letter, the Russian sound sh + tch). If I can dig up the printed text I mentioned, I will give the details, provided it contains (the title of) Severtzov's publication.

Thanks for the transliteration. Russian is not my forte and appreciate both original and translated amendments.

I gave it a try, but I don't seem to be able to help with the publication itself either (but would be interested to see it in case anyone finds it ;)).

The publication title seems to have been (in modern spelling):
Записки Туркестанского отдела Общества любителей естествознания, антропологии и этнографии
Zapiski Turkestanskogo otdela Obshchestva lyubiteley yestestvoznaniya, antropologii i etnografii. (Literal translation: Notes of the Turkestani branch of the Society of lovers of nature science, anthropology and ethnography.)
There is some variation in the exact wording depending on the source, though -- in some places, I find "отделения" (otdeleniya) instead of "отдела" (the meaning is more or less the same); in some places "Императоского" (Imperatorskogo = Imperial) is added before "Общества". Your transcription presumably derives from a sightly abbreviated version, which must have been: "Записки Туркестан. отдел. О-ва любит. естествознания, антропологии и этнографии".
(Beware that you have an 'l' (л) where there should be a 'p' (п) in the first word -- Jan also retained this in his transliteration.)

So far as I understand (e.g., [here]), only one issue was ever published.

I gave it a try, but I don't seem to be able to help with the publication itself either (but would be interested to see it in case anyone finds it ;)).

[…A very helpful exposition follows…]

So far as I understand (e.g., [here]), only one issue was ever published.

Thanks, Laurent, for your very helpful comments. After a lot of searching I had found what I thought to be a fuller title of the periodical in a Kazakh e-publication, still with abbreviations, of which I could detect a few. To have the title in full is great.

Herman Schalow 1908 (in German):
Accentor collaris rufilatus ist von Sewerzow in einer sehr schwer zugänglichen Zeitschrift" (Sapiski d. Turk. Abth. der Liebhaber der Naturkunde, 1, p.45, 1879) eingehend beschrieben und von Pleske in den Aves Przewalskianae, Taf. 4 [...] abgebildet worden.

[from here]​

The OD itself is indeed "seht schwer" (very difficult). Neither I have found it.

The "Taf." (Tafel/Plate) 4 (IV) in Pleske's "Aves Przewalskianae" (from 1889) is/was a bit easier to find (here); as "Accentor alpinus var. rufilatus (Sew.)" – with accompanying text in Russian and German (on pp.140-142).

If of any help?

Good luck guys!

Björn

PS. This said; without ounderstanding the Etymological viewpoint of this thread (rufilatus, red flanked, seems pretty obvious) ... ;)

Ekstra zapis' to Severtzov (Russian zapis' = note, entry, zapiski = transactions, proceedings)
(Björn, keep reading for the etymological element of my message . . .!)

The combination Severtzov + 1879, which seemed the right way for searching the OD of Accentor rufilatus, was not restricted to this subspecies of Prunella collaris. On p.193 of Sistematika mlekopitayushchikh SSSR (Taxonomy of the Mammals of the USSR) the authors I.Y.Pavlivov and O.L.Rossolimo give the same reference for Arvicola juldaschi, with page 63:
Записки Туркестанского отдела Императорского общества любителей естествознания, антропологии и этнографии - издаются с 1879 г. в Ташкенте. Вышел один т. I, вып. I. [Notes from the Turkestan Society of Devotees of Natural Science, Anthropology, and Ethnography] 1, no. 1 (1879).]

Arvicola juldaschi, actually Neodon (or Microtus) juldaschi (Sevrtzov, 1879) is a vole (fieldmouse): the Juniper Mountain Vole, in Russian "Pamirskaya polevka" = Pamir vole. Although the description of this mammal is in another part of the 1879 Zapiski Turkestan Society, I wondered if this could offer a sideway to get to the "new birds" part of this issue. Well, it did not, I did not get beyond the reference; apparently there is no entrance, not even for a mouse . . .

The mammal is named after the Juldasch highland, although for the distribution is given: Tadzyikistan, Gorno-Badakhshanskaya AO, Murgabskij region, Lake Karakul, Kara-Art, with locality in Severtzov's OD: "Karakul' i Aksu"). I could not find the meaning of the abbreviation AO.
The etymological link is in the name juldussica, subspecies of the Brown or Pale Accentor Prunella fulvescens, of the Julduss Plateau, Tian Shan, Xinjiang, China (in HBW Alive Key), synonymized with the nominate ssp.
This locality is also given as: Juldus Tal, Tianschan (German version, Tal = valley), Chinese Turkestan.

Remarkable detail is that the Mammal Book in the reference has the term астрономии (astronomii) instead of
антропологии (antropologi), given in the reference by Laurent. A rather curious adaptation (would those members be interested in astronomy as well?).

There is one other item, related to Björn's remark
"PS. This said; without ounderstanding the Etymological viewpoint of this thread (rufilatus, red flanked, seems pretty obvious)" I remember that at some time a rule was accepted that in nomenclature the denotations of body parts, as being invariable nouns, should no longer be made congruent to the gender of the generic name, but should retain the original grammatical form. In this case: Accentor rufilatus is allright, but Prunella collaris rufilata should be P.collaris rufilatus (latus, flank, is a noun, could never become -lata). I suppose this could be the result of nomenclatorial activities of David & Josselyn, but I don't remember if a certain period to start with was fixed. Maybe Laurent still knows such a thing by heart? Thanks in advance, and also thanks for reading all this stuff on mouses and mountains . . . I did not want to see it all lost in my own dustbin.
Cheers, Jan van der Brugge

Gorno-Badakhshanskaya AO
[...]
I could not find the meaning of the abbreviation AO.
Автономная Область (Autonomous Region).

There is one other item, related to Björn's remark
"PS. This said; without ounderstanding the Etymological viewpoint of this thread (rufilatus, red flanked, seems pretty obvious)" I remember that at some time a rule was accepted that in nomenclature the denotations of body parts, as being invariable nouns, should no longer be made congruent to the gender of the generic name, but should retain the original grammatical form. In this case: Accentor rufilatus is allright, but Prunella collaris rufilata should be P.collaris rufilatus (latus, flank, is a noun, could never become -lata). I suppose this could be the result of nomenclatorial activities of David & Josselyn, but I don't remember if a certain period to start with was fixed. Maybe Laurent still knows such a thing by heart?
There is no period fixed for this type of thing, so far as I know.

I agree that rufilatus is not adjectival and should in principle be treated as invariable. (The side/flank is quite clearly what is meant here. But I guess it's a name that might have slipped through the net quite easily due to it ending in -atus (an adjective-forming suffix in Latin) and latus being potentially an adjective as well (= broad), or a participle (of fero = to bear, to carry.)

(This name was treated as invariable (as Prunella collaris rufilatus) quite a few times in the early 20th C (e.g.: Hartert 1910 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/14030581 ). The same name was also apparently treated as substantival by Hodgson 1845 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/12862523, who introduced it in combination with Nemura, which he otherwise combined with two feminine adjectives (now in Tarsiger). However, a number of other authors have used rufilata or rufilatum, suggesting they regarded the word as adjectival. Note that the stem of latus (a 3rd decl. noun with genitive lateris) is later-: this is what should normally be used in building a compound word; here the noun in the nominative is simply used unmodified.)

PS -- "David & Gosselin", of course ;)

Last edited:
Cher Laurent,
Spasibo, many thanks for this fully enlightening explanation to my questions and remarks, and the splendid formulation. It is wonderful to be able to rely on such sources like you at the BirdForum, in jubilant gospel terms one would say "what a blessed assurance"!
Jan van der Brugge

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back