• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SFL vs. Aurora... (4 Viewers)

chill6x6

Supporter
I have been selling a bunch of binoculars lately and was thinking it was time to slightly reverse course! This time I went to at least for me, left field and purchased an Opticron Aurora BGA VHD 8X42(why oh why does Opticron have to use SO many letters?). So here's a short review and a comparison.

I've had the Aurora for all of almost three days. Normally I wouldn't even bother to comment about a binocular so soon but I'm going to make an exception. As I normally do, I enjoy comparing a new optic to one in the same class/price point that I have and like. My initial thought was the Monarch HG which is a very proven commodity. I couldn't put my hands on mine right quick but the Zeiss SFL 8X40 did catch my eye. After all, it's the current darling of the BF birding world and is really a nice binocular! So SFL it is.

A few comparisons....

When I took the Aurora out of the box my first thought was it was a little heavy. Not so. 25.0 ounces on my electronic scale. The SFL 8X40 doesn't weight THAT much less at 23.7 ounces. Only 1.3 ounces less.

FOV....they are about equal...420 for the SFL and 423 for the Aurora. I'm going to take their word for it as I couldn't tell any difference between the two.

Diopter adjustment... Aurora is centrally located on the focus knob just pull out to set the push back to retain. SFL is under the right eyecup.

Both are made in Japan.

Focus adjustment... The SFL is pretty close to 10 out of 10 and it's just as good as the day I bought it. The Aurora is not too far behind. I'd say it's very similar to the Monarch HG with a little less resistance that I like better. I'd probably give the Aurora a 8.9/10.

Hinge tension- This is one of those areas I'm picky about. I'd say the SFL is excellent in this regard and the Aurora would probably rate "acceptable." I would like for the Aurora hinge tension to be a little tighter.

Use in the field...

So remember...I've owned the Aurora three days. I've been out birding with it twice. Both days cloudy and overcast. I like the Aurora more than I thought I would. I guess it is the best binocular Opticron has ever offered and it shows. In fact I thought the view was very much similar to an SLC. Even on these cloudy days resolution seemed to me to be better than expected. Swapping between the two binoculars...both are good binoculars but the kicker was...lateral chromatic aberration. There is no denying the rather obvious victor...the Opticron Aurora. Conditions were about perfect. CA becomes noticeable in the SFL slightly off center. I'd say at least 80% of the FOV is CA free with the Aurora. Kind of eye opening to me.

More observations to follow...

IMG_2433.jpeg

I have always thought Opticron punch well above their weight.
I nearly bought a DBA VHD, the model before the Aurora, because it pushed the Zeiss Conquest very close, and was significantly cheaper.
It was clearly the best £500 binocular I looked through.
I got a good deal on the Conquest that day, but was very impressed with the Opticron.
Your views seem to be heading in the same direction!!

Last edited:
I've never looked through the 8x42, but I've looked through the 10x42 on several occasions, using them as a reference against which to appraise other optics. They have never failed to impress, and I've been unaware of any notable variation between samples, so mechanical tolerances appear to be tight (certainly tighter than in the SFL, in my experience). Best sub £1,000 view? I reckon.

If only they focused clockwise to infinity...

So... to continue on the Aurora theme...

I've used the Aurora every time I've been birding. Sometimes by itself but usually along with another binocular. It's easy to take along an extra binocular with the RYUL harness and that's what I do.

I have to say optically I've been impressed. I've compared it to the SFL 8X40 and MHG 8X42, and today a Noctivid 8X42. I went to one of my favorite spots, Marbut Bend. It's a great birding spot. I strapped on both the Aurora and the Noctivid. I was walking toward the trail and on my phone logging the birds I was hearing when I heard a common yellow-throat. First one I've heard this year at this spot. I pulled up the binocular around my neck to look at it and my first thoughts after bringing the binoculars to my eyes were, "nothing better than the Leica view!" Except...it wasn't the Noctivid I was looking thru, it was the Aurora! I went back and forth between the two all morning. The Aurora does't give up much to the Noctivid if any. Seriously. Sweet spot is about the same. Resolution is VERY close between the two. Too close to call. I really can't tell any FOV difference as expected even though the Aurora has slightly more FOV. I CAN tell the Aurora weighs a little less. Focusing...as I mentioned, the Aurora focus feels almost exactly like my SLC 8X42 focus. EXCELLENT when making large adjustments but a little "sticky" when making small adjustments as when fine-tuning the focus on a bird. Of course the Noctivid is buttery smooth and among the best.

I do believe the Aurora 8X42 is Opticron's best binocular effort to date. This may very well be my favorite $1000 binocular I've bought. I recommend it!

IMG_2579.jpeg

IMG_2599.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg

I've used the Aurora every time I've been birding. Sometimes by itself but usually along with another binocular. It's easy to take along an extra binocular with the RYUL harness and that's what I do.

I have to say optically I've been impressed. I've compared it to the SFL 8X40 and MHG 8X42, and today a Noctivid 8X42. I went to one of my favorite spots, Marbut Bend. It's a great birding spot. I strapped on both the Aurora and the Noctivid. I was walking toward the trail and on my phone logging the birds I was hearing when I heard a common yellow-throat. First one I've heard this year at this spot. I pulled up the binocular around my neck to look at it and my first thoughts after bringing the binoculars to my eyes were, "nothing better than the Leica view!" Except...it wasn't the Noctivid I was looking thru, it was the Aurora! I went back and forth between the two all morning. The Aurora does't give up much to the Noctivid if any. Seriously. Sweet spot is about the same. Resolution is VERY close between the two. Too close to call. I really can't tell any FOV difference as expected even though the Aurora has slightly more FOV. I CAN tell the Aurora weighs a little less. Focusing...as I mentioned, the Aurora focus feels almost exactly like my SLC 8X42 focus. EXCELLENT when making large adjustments but a little "sticky" when making small adjustments as when fine-tuning the focus on a bird. Of course the Noctivid is buttery smooth and among the best.

I do believe the Aurora 8X42 is Opticron's best binocular effort to date. This may very well be my favorite $1000 binocular I've bought. I recommend it!

IMG_2579.jpeg

IMG_2599.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg
I’ve been waiting for your follow-up post on the Aurora. You’ve confirmed Ratal’s previous posts regarding these binoculars. Cheers!

Now that is an amazing endorsement, and coming from you it's really noteworthy (not only I value and respect your wealth of knowledge and experience with binoculars, but I tend to concur with most of your personal preferences). Thanks a bunch! Just wish Opticron did an 8x32 Aurora #daydreaming

Now that is an amazing endorsement, and coming from you it's really noteworthy (not only I value and respect your wealth of knowledge and experience with binoculars, but I tend to concur with most of your personal preferences). Thanks a bunch! Just wish Opticron did an 8x32 Aurora #daydreaming
It’s nice to get an opinion from a very experienced optics owner from this side of the pond. Maybe Opticron is listening and an 8x32 Aurora might be in the works.

IMG_2579.jpeg

IMG_2599.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg
Of course I respect your opinion and agree on much the same on most binoculars, but I had a completely different opinion of the three Auroras I used. Two of which had less than stellar focusers, I felt the MHG was sharper and had more contrast in side by side comparisons. These were not even close the Noctivids, even the Ultravids were a good stepup optically. Every body is different and has different sensitivities I guess.

Paul

I was seriously thinking about buying the Aurora 10 x 42, but after reading that the hinge tension may be too loose, that is a deal breaker. Nothing bugs he more than a binocular with sloppy or loose hinge tension!

Of course I respect your opinion and agree on much the same on most binoculars, but I had a completely different opinion of the three Auroras I used. Two of which had less than stellar focusers, I felt the MHG was sharper and had more contrast in side by side comparisons. These were not even close the Noctivids, even the Ultravids were a good stepup optically. Every body is different and has different sensitivities I guess.

Paul

How long did you have an Aurora? 100% agree with the focusers being less than optimum. Most definitely no worse than a late model SLC. I've used the Aurora a good bit. I'd be happy with it. I've just used them while birding. I haven't taken the time to do anything critical which would require putting them on a tripod. Spring migration is at hand so I'll be doing more birding than binocular critiquing. But really nothing serious here...I just think as a birding binocular the Aurora holds its own with well-respected binoculars within its price range and above. And it does.

Peace brother....

I was seriously thinking about buying the Aurora 10 x 42, but after reading that the hinge tension may be too loose, that is a deal breaker. Nothing bugs he more than a binocular with sloppy or loose hinge tension!
This is a HUGE pet-peeve for me as well. Hinge tension isn't as tight as I prefer. The RYUL harness does tend to expose this trait. Being elastic cord it tends to try to pull the binocular closed. It hasn't been an issue for me.

Paul
I agree with Paul.... I tried the Auroras, and thought them very good, but somewhere near the Conquest and Genesis as a general viewing experience.
They all had their pros and cons, but I would put them in that sort of area.
As Paul says.... each to their own.

How long did you have an Aurora? 100% agree with the focusers being less than optimum. Most definitely no worse than a late model SLC. I've used the Aurora a good bit. I'd be happy with it. I've just used them while birding. I haven't taken the time to do anything critical which would require putting them on a tripod. Spring migration is at hand so I'll be doing more birding than binocular critiquing. But really nothing serious here...I just think as a birding binocular the Aurora holds its own with well-respected binoculars within its price range and above. And it does.

Peace brother....

This is a HUGE pet-peeve for me as well. Hinge tension isn't as tight as I prefer. The RYUL harness does tend to expose this trait. Being elastic cord it tends to try to pull the binocular closed. It hasn't been an issue for me.
We had two 8x42’s and one 10x42 on a few different outings. In all the group spent a few days with each of the optics and did more of a subjective review comparing to the ones mentioned a few others, depending on which we wanted to side by side. We spent an ample amount of time to get a good idea of the optics. But I didn’t have them for weeks to really see what areas really come out and shine. Aside from some small mechanical issues (focuser on two and sloppy hinge on one) I felt they were very good on CA, no doubt it’s good glass, which it should be ($1000 MIJ). All and all I just wasn’t as impressed as I am with some others in its price range. ✌🏼🙏🏼.

Hinge tension isn't as tight as I prefer.
For what it's worth, even alphas can have this problem, like the UVHD+ 32 I had for a while. (I'm sure I could have had it fixed in service, but that HD+ just never grew on me, being a bit too small ergonomically, and not enough of an improvement on the trusty old BN.)

Nice comparison / topic. I've still not seen or used an Aurora, but I increasingly find myself moving towards lighter and lighter binoculars for most of my birding. The little 8x30 SFL is a marvel, I adore it. It's everything I loved about the MHG 8x30 for years but just a little better on all fronts.

I have borrowed multiple times a 10x40 SFL from a friend. At first I wasn't really impressed but it really has grown on me. It's less FOV and less "wow factor" than an NL / SF but it's way lighter, has a great focuser, has great ergonomics, has a good FOV just not as massive, is razor sharp in the center which is what matters to me, has terrific color, great stray light suppression, and increasingly impresses me as the best bin I have used for the weight. At least for me, the SFLs are really a sweet spot - again they are the perfect package that the MHG was, just a bit better all around without being over-engineered or otherwise hamstrung.

Speaking of over-engineered and hamstrung... I also recently took an NL 10x42 on a couple weeks of mostly desert / open country birding. Optically amazing, the glare is occasionally there but it's situational so doesn't bother most of the time. But the f*cking eye cups are maddening, you cannot put them up or down without changing the IPD and perhaps once a day unscrewing an eye-cup. I'll have another go round with Swaro to see if they have a solution yet but at this point the SFL is a honestly just a better birding tool than the NL at half the price, despite what is overall a patently better optical package on the NL. All that FOV and edge clarity is useless when crippled (for my use) by the ergonomics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back