• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shawangunk Grasslands NWR [NY] (Bird ID help please) (1 Viewer)

FreddyBee

United States
Hi All -

My wife and I visited the Shawangunk Grasslands NWR in NY yesterday and we both saw a bird we’re having trouble identifying. Unfortunately, I do not have a photograph but based on my description, I’d appreciate some “possibilities” of what species this could have been…

Date: 2023-08-26
Temp: 80°F (but blazing hot sunshine)
Size: Larger than a warbler but smaller than a robin. To me it looked be the size of a sparrow or house finch (maybe “the same or slightly” larger).
Colors: Light/pale yellow breast with brown flecking on upper part of the chest. My wife saw white on the head (wasn’t sure how much) but was sure it had a yellow “eyebrow” as she called it.
Location: It was in tall grass just off the Red Trail (we were on the Red Trail walking toward the observation platform).

Thank for any ideas you care to share!
All the best - Freddy

Last edited:
Ah ha... Thank you... Your suggestion helped lead me to look at images of the "female / non-breeding male "Bobolink" and quite sure this is the bird. Another birder visited the site yesterday and reported seeing 60, so quite likely. Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back