• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shiny Cowbird Loreto Argentina May (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please confirm these to be a Shiny Cowbird? Taken in Loreto Argentina May.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 8
There are at least five different Loretos in Argentina, but they're all in the area where the ranges of Shiny and Screaming cowbird overlap.

That's not a problem for the females (female Screaming are black and shiny like the males) but it makes identifying the males very difficult.

If I had to guess, I would say #4 is Shiny, which is more likely to show a blue color in photos.
Somebody may be able to judge #1 and #3 by beak shape, but not me.

It's been a while since I've been birding in Argentina, so there's a chance I'm forgetting some look-alike, but I think your female is safe to identify as Shiny cowbird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back