• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

shooting of birds of prey (1 Viewer)

george telford

Hi every one I am a newby to this site, just after a little advice it has come to my attention that a local game keeper has shot a common buzzard and is also shooting gulls as they follow the Plough I am appalled at this sort of contempt for the law towards wild life. What can I do to bring this animal to justice

Hello George and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BF :t:

This is horrible news and hopefully someone from your neck of the woods will ring in shortly with some suggestions.

Hello George, and welcome to the forum. Yes, hopefully someone from your side of the pond will be along to help out.

Hi every one I am a newby to this site, just after a little advice it has come to my attention that a local game keeper has shot a common buzzard and is also shooting gulls as they follow the Plough I am appalled at this sort of contempt for the law towards wild life. What can I do to bring this animal to justice

Not sure about gulls but Buzzards are a protected species. Discharging a firearm from a vehicle may be an offence too. If this is more than just hearsay, contact the police using the non emergency number and ask to speak to a wildlife crimes officer. Alternatively, the RSPB have a contact number on their website for such things.

Why would a game warden want gulls dead?

In the UK many grouse estates kill quite high numbers of large gulls as they can eat chicks. On such estates a so called 'sport' is to stand on the edge of a moor and have large numbers of red grouse driven towards them by estate employees so that they can shoot as many as possible. Numbers are everything.

Large Gulls like Herring GBB AND LBB Gulls are a threat to young Grouse so will be controlled on Grouse Moors don't know of the legality of it but shooting Gulls following the plough makes no sense as the plough is bringing them in to exploit the short term glut in food the gulls wont stay are not resident to the are and should not pose a threat to game.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back