• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shopping for new binoculars (1 Viewer)

dbender

United States
I am looking for a new pair of binoculars. The amount of info on the internet is overwhelming. My current pair are leupold 8x42 Mojave. I am looking to upgrade primarily the low light performance. I realize this is somewhat of a personal opinion but what would be a solid recommendation for a new pair? Thanks in advance. Hard to find a place to try out any in a low light setting. I am in ga, usa. Thanks

How many $$$ are you ready to invest?
Do you use eyeglasses?
Is the warranty an important priority? (like 10 years vs 30+ years, no receipt needed, ...)

1000 or less. No glasses. warranty not an issue, I would expect a manufacturer to stand behind a defective product though. I think used would be a better option for me but trying to narrow down what to look for or potentially steer clear of.

It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

These Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56 are like new, and you could offer him $1200. A little over your budget, but these are a nice low light binocular. You don't want IF for birding, as in the Steiner Nighthunter 8x56. You can't beat an 8x56 for low light.

Last edited:
I am looking for a new pair of binoculars. The amount of info on the internet is overwhelming. My current pair are leupold 8x42 Mojave. I am looking to upgrade primarily the low light performance. I realize this is somewhat of a personal opinion but what would be a solid recommendation for a new pair? Thanks in advance. Hard to find a place to try out any in a low light setting. I am in ga, usa. Thanks
I'd recommend looking into Tract Toric UHD 10x42. My favorite in the sub 1k range that competes with Zeiss Conquest and Vortex Viper HD at less cost because they sell direct. Lifetime warranty.

Very good low light performance for a 10x42. Obviously you could go with a 56mm objective like recommended above but much larger and heavier bin.

Two very good Camera/optics retailers are B&H photo/visual and Adaroma, both in New York. I’ve bought many items and spent well into the 5 digits over the last two years with these two venders without one problem. They have great customer service, huge stock, they are very knowledgeable , they have excellent return polices , no questions asked and no monkey business. Two really class acts.

Paul

I'd recommend looking into Tract Toric UHD 10x42. My favorite in the sub 1k range that competes with Zeiss Conquest and Vortex Viper HD at less cost because they sell direct. Lifetime warranty.

Very good low light performance for a 10x42. Obviously you could go with a 56mm objective like recommended above but much larger and heavier bin.
A 10x42 with a 4.2 mm EP isn't going to be as bright as his current 8x42, which has a 5.25 mm EP. It would be pointless to switch to a 10x42 if he wants to increase his low light performance. If he wanted to switch to a 10x, he would have to get a 10x56 to be any brighter than what he has now. A 10x56 would show more detail in low light than an 8x56 because of the higher magnification, but an 8x56 is brighter.

Last edited:
A 10x42 with a 4.2 mm EP isn't going to be as bright as his current 8x42, which has a 5.25 mm EP. It would be pointless to switch to a 10x42 if he wants to increase his low light performance. If he wanted to switch to a 10x, he would have to get a 10x56 to be any brighter than what he has now. A 10x56 would show more detail in low light than an 8x56 because of the higher magnification, but an 8x56 is brighter.
I'm thinking the 10x42 Toric would be better in low light than his current Mojave because 1) 10x will give him more detail in low light than 8x
2) Toric is better glass than the Mojave

Was giving him an option staying in the same size/weight range as his Mojave, but with better low light performance.

Larger objective will increase low light performance such as 50mm or 56mm, but will be bigger and heavier than his Mojave (which might not be an issue for him) Tract Toric also makes a 10x50, which would be better than the 10x42 for low light performance.

Going to a larger exit pupil than 5mm hugely reduces the choice and often leads to a sizeable step up in weight (for the same magnification). Sometimes also a reduction in apparent field of view too. If you’re often observing into deep twilight and you’re OK with the compromises, then get one, but it might annoy you at other times. I specifically have a smaller exit pupil binocular for normal use as it is lighter and more compact… though I do have a “big heavy 7x50/8x56” if i am specifically out in the twilight… when the extra aperture really makes the difference.

Peter

Weight really isn't factor. Will better glass compensate for a smaller exit pupil? Or should I just look for a larger pair with an exit pupil closer to 7?

Weight really isn't factor. Will better glass compensate for a smaller exit pupil? Or should I just look for a larger pair with an exit pupil closer to 7?
Better glass with higher transmission will make a difference, but it still won't make an 8x42 brighter than an 8x56 in low light. The big aperture is the key. An 8x56 brings in 2x the light that an 8x42 does, and there is no way that higher transmission is going to compensate for that huge of a difference. If weight isn't a factor, get an 8x56 for low light.

The best 8x56 is probably the SLC or FL, but the Zeiss Conquest HD is very good for the money. Nice thing about the SLC and the FL is they have a bigger FOV than most of the other 8x56's and they both have AK prisms which give you about 2 % higher transmission. The SLC has sharper edges and less distortion than the FL. If money is no object, the SLC 8x56 is probably the best 8x56.

As I recall children's pupils can open to 7mm but adults usually end up at 6mm max after a while, so going above that may not be helpful...

You get more light by going to larger objectives. A 50mm objective has 41% more surface area than a 42mm objective and so much greater light transmission.

A separate matter is the magnification and Nikon puts out light transmission values for its binoculars and a 10x is shown as having more light transmission than a 8x binocular. Based on my own experience the 10x provides 25% more image magnification than an 8x and this makes it easier to discern details in a subject.

I use a 10x25 compact pair the most but my second most used binocular is a 12x50 one. At 28.7 oz the 12x50 is manageable in terms of weight. If I can hold the binoculars against my eye sockets I can use a 10x or 12x with no difficulties. A 18x is however too much for me to use without a tripod or internal stabilization.

As I recall children's pupils can open to 7mm but adults usually end up at 6mm max after a while, so going above that may not be helpful...
I think that is mostly rumor. I am older than dirt and I compared my Zeiss Conquest HD 10x56 and my SLC 8x56 in low light and the SLC is without a doubt brighter. It is hard to beat an 8x56 in low light.

Last edited:
You get more light by going to larger objectives. A 50mm objective has 41% more surface area than a 42mm objective and so much greater light transmission.

A separate matter is the magnification and Nikon puts out light transmission values for its binoculars and a 10x is shown as having more light transmission than a 8x binocular. Based on my own experience the 10x provides 25% more image magnification than an 8x and this makes it easier to discern details in a subject.

I use a 10x25 compact pair the most but my second most used binocular is a 12x50 one. At 28.7 oz the 12x50 is manageable in terms of weight. If I can hold the binoculars against my eye sockets I can use a 10x or 12x with no difficulties. A 18x is however too much for me to use without a tripod or internal stabilization.
There is no way that the same binocular in 8x and 10x would have higher transmission in 10x. Transmission has nothing to do with magnification. Higher transmission is result of higher quality coatings mainly and higher quality glass like Schott HT glass used in the Zeiss HT.

The advantage a 10x has in low light over and 8x is as you say due to image magnification and not transmission. With a 10x you can see more detail in daylight, as well as low light because 10x simply shows you more detail.

I use a Nikon HG 10x25 pocket binocular for the same reason because it is better in low light than a Curio 7x21, Leica UV 8x20, Zeiss Victory 8x25 or Swarovski CLP 8x25 because of the higher magnification even though the transmission might not be as high.

It's hard to recommend a binocular to someone without knowing what you're going to use it for. BUT...going from personal experience/preference I think a Maven B2 9X42. It has a little larger objection, a little more magnification, and AK prisms(transmit the most light). I know it's a little more than you'd like to spend. I have owned this binocular really hated parting with it. I've almost pulled the trigger on it again several times. It's really an excellent, do everything binocular. Highest recommendation!

IMG_2808.JPG

If you cannot get to a physical shop please make sure that your seller has a top class returns policy.

I sold some RSPB branded binoculars to an elderly (80+) lady on Thursday.
"Obviously", I checked her price point first and showed her the price range. She tried 8x32 and really liked them but they weren’t 100% comfortable, tried the same range as an 8x42 and they were more comfortable in her hand and a better fit for her face - 60 minutes and £85 well spent.

It's hard to recommend a binocular to someone without knowing what you're going to use it for. BUT...going from personal experience/preference I think a Maven B2 9X42. It has a little larger objection, a little more magnification, and AK prisms(transmit the most light). I know it's a little more than you'd like to spend. I have owned this binocular really hated parting with it. I've almost pulled the trigger on it again several times. It's really an excellent, do everything binocular. Highest recommendation!

IMG_2808.JPG
I agree on the Maven B2 9x45. I tried quite a few Mavens, and it was the stand out of the bunch. The combination of a little more reach with the 9x and the bigger 45 mm objective and AK prism which improves the transmission make it unique. The weight of 33 oz. for a 45 mm is the only downside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back