• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird seen at a lake in Central TN, 3 Sept 21 (1 Viewer)

hamlinjk15u

United States
Curious on this one. Wasnt expecting it to be here, then it just flew in and pecked around for a while. Had a bobbing tail while it was feeding.

Attachments

• DSC_0378.JPG
    DSC_0378.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0379.JPG
    DSC_0379.JPG
    918.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0380.JPG
    DSC_0380.JPG
    896 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0385.JPG
    DSC_0385.JPG
    592 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0395.JPG
    DSC_0395.JPG
    621.9 KB · Views: 53
Note strong wing-bar on upperwing and underwing, and... well, every feature that your field guide will describe for you is visible here. And the bobbing tail action is characteristic.

If you see a shorebird feeding on a log, 99% of the time it is a Spotted Sandpiper. At least here in Pennsylvania.

If you see a shorebird feeding on a log, 99% of the time it is a Spotted Sandpiper. At least here in Pennsylvania.
I see, very interesting. It flew in out of nowhere in this area I was not expecting to see ANY shorebirds at all. Thank you for the information

Note strong wing-bar on upperwing and underwing, and... well, every feature that your field guide will describe for you is visible here. And the bobbing tail action is characteristic.
After looking through field guides, I still wasn't sure. I couldn't find any photos, or illustrations, that looked like this. Which is why I asked in this forum. That's what it's here for right?

Sure. But now you can - as I suggested - look up spotted sandpiper in your field guide and see that the features which it describes are visible in your photos. To do so is a useful learning exercise.

After looking through field guides, I still wasn't sure. I couldn't find any photos, or illustrations, that looked like this. Which is why I asked in this forum. That's what it's here for right?

Yes! Never be hesitant about posting a photo of an unknown bird in the Bird I D section. That's what it is here for ;)

Yes! Never be hesitant about posting a photo of an unknown bird in the Bird I D section. That's what it is here for ;)

Thank you KC, I appreciate you saying that. The reason I even asked in the first place was because it seems a good portion of the inquiries I post are met with some level of push-back, or at the very least a seemingly better/smarter-than-thou attitude, from butty. As if it was a hastle to answer questions. I try to look through my resources (Sibley Birds East, Stokes Birds of NA, Peterson New Birders Guide, plus Sibley's app, Merlin, and Audubon's app) before i ever post anything. And when I do, I try to include notes of what im thinking and why, even though at times it may be incorrect. So im unsure where butty's almost hostility comes from, but its not appreciated.

You raised this issue after (what I think was) your very first post here. I immediately assured you that you had entirely misinterpreted my comment, and you appeared entirely happy with that. I have helped you numerous times since and you have appeared entirely happy. As I have explained above, my comment here about field guides was intended as a very real means of helping you to learn bird ID - any experienced birder here, after seeing a new bird, will go at once to the field guide and contrast/compare their sighting with what is there - in order to learn. Your photos happen to be good enough that they do show all the key features of this species, including even the underwing, which is often difficult to see. Hence my reassurance about your concern, and my suggestion about ID practice, above - viz...
Sure. But now you can - as I suggested - look up spotted sandpiper in your field guide and see that the features which it describes are visible in your photos. To do so is a useful learning exercise.

Let's face it Butty, some of your replies - even if most probably not intended to - can come out a little rude. Even I as a non-native speaker sense that from time to time... Where is the proverbially British politeness ;)? Hope you don't take it as an offense!

You raised this issue after (what I think was) your very first post here. I immediately assured you that you had entirely misinterpreted my comment, and you appeared entirely happy with that. I have helped you numerous times since and you have appeared entirely happy. As I have explained above, my comment here about field guides was intended as a very real means of helping you to learn bird ID - any experienced birder here, after seeing a new bird, will go at once to the field guide and contrast/compare their sighting with what is there - in order to learn. Your photos happen to be good enough that they do show all the key features of this species, including even the underwing, which is often difficult to see. Hence my reassurance about your concern, and my suggestion about ID practice, above - viz...

And you are helpful, yes. But as stated just below this quoted post, you tend to come across rude. Its not just at me. I have seen multiple times in threads where you respond to other people's ID help with some crassness. For instance, in my Orchard Oriole thread back in June, you note 3 specific details to help identify the Orchard. just after you, another poster notes two details, but not a 3rd that you mentioned. You responded by beginning with a .........and then noting again your 3rd detail as if them leaving it out was some kind of slight? Im not exactly sure. But there are multiple examples of this just on my own posts alone. And from the sounds of it, im not the only one who sees this. And this doesnt even begin to get into the issues from the Duck Island Unit thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back