• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short tailed or Red tailed hawk dark morph South FL. If it is the red tailed, is it a specific subspecies? (3 Viewers)

The attachment is not working for me. It might be helpful if you can post a photo directly and give the date.

Can you give the date, please, and add any more photos?
I'd rather see more evidence that red-tailed hawk's key underwing feature is absent - but it does look like juvenile dark-morph short-tailed hawk is supposed to look. Presumably 2nd-winter as it's in active flight-feather-moult.
[Written while the photo was visible, which now it isn't but we hope will be again soon.]

Can you give the date, please, and add any more photos?
I'd rather see more evidence that red-tailed hawk's key underwing feature is absent - but it does look like juvenile dark-morph short-tailed hawk is supposed to look. Presumably 2nd-winter as it's in active flight-feather-moult.
[Written while the photo was visible, which now it isn't but we hope will be again soon.]
I'm getting nothing from the attachment either.
I have this from my phone, not sure why the original didn’t upload. Date was today south fl.
View attachment IMG_0333.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back