• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short-tailed vs. Asian Glossy Starling, Bali (1 Viewer)

Madlog

Germany
Hello everyone,

I have (another) ID help request from Bali, where I currently am.
I photographed a group of Starlings. Both Short-tailed and Asian Glossy occur here fairly frequently. The photo was taken today, 1. of Feb 2024, in the Ubud area.
I couldn’t find great help online for separating these two species. The angle from below makes judging tail and bill length difficult without experience and since most were juvenile birds, I am not sure about plumage color.

Would be happy to learn which one it is and why ;)!

Cheers,
Stefan

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpeg
    IMG_0183.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0184.png
    IMG_0184.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 21
gloss is heavily dependent on the light. Easiest way to separate them is bill shape and size - your birds have weak, small bills = Short-tailed Starling (on Bali elevation is some help, though foothills both can occur).

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back