• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I add kerfs to inside of flicker nesting box? If so, what depth and spacing? (1 Viewer)

Greetings all,

I live in southern California, USA, and recently got a flicker nesting box I want to put up. It is of good quality, but as you can see in the attached photo, there are no kerfs cut into the inside of the door to help the babies leave the box. There are two wide and widely spaced rungs, but I am not sure how helpful those would be. some sides of the nesting box ara rough enough to get a toe hold, but the inside of the door is fairly smooth

So should I carve in some kerfs? If so, how deep should they be and and how far apart should they be spaced? I saw one site that said 1/4" and 1/2" apart. And how wide should they be? If they just have to be slits, it would be easiest for me to use the 'cut-off' discs with my Dremel tool. Instead of cutting kerfs, could I just staple metal or fabric screen inside to make a ladder? That would be easiest, though I wouldn't want them to get their talons stuck.

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to get this right Thanks in advance!

kerfs for flicker box.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back