• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I trade my SW SLC 7x42 Neu for an SLC HD? (1 Viewer)

Szmako81

Hungary
Dear Member,
Recently I have been thinking of selling my SLC 7x42 Neu to get the HD.
What's your point of view?

Szabolcs

Last edited:
Dear Member,
Recently I have been thinking of selling my SLC 7x42 HD to get the HD.
What's your point of view?

Szabolcs

You mean the discontinued SLC HD 8x42?

The "7x42 neu" has swarobright I guess? So no yellowish cast.

A 7x bino is always a 7x....I wouldn't trade my 7x Zeiss to any 8x at least...

Some thoughts here:

You mean the discontinued SLC HD 8x42?

The "7x42 neu" has swarobright I guess? So no yellowish cast.

A 7x bino is always a 7x....I wouldn't trade my 7x Zeiss to any 8x at least...

Some thoughts here:
Corrected the mistake! I meant the "Neu". Yes, it has Swarobright.
Sz.

After reading your comment on the yellowish cast I changed my mind instantly. I'm getting used to that beautiful FOW of the 7x.
Yes, 7x bins are always enjoyable, and the color balance should be fine.

More info on the SLC (neu) history here:

Yes, 7x bins are always enjoyable, and the color balance should be fine.

More info on the SLC (neu) history here:

Thanks, Vbuteo! Sz.

I bought my (pre Neu) 7x42 SLC 18 years ago and although I might have "better" bins, it is the last bin I would part with.
You were lucky enough to acquire a 7x42 SLC Neu in new condition 2 weeks ago and I advised you to never let it go. You now want to sell it. Are you crazy?

John

I bought my (pre Neu) 7x42 SLC 18 years ago and although I might have "better" bins, it is the last bin I would part with.
You were lucky enough to acquire a 7x42 SLC Neu in new condition 2 weeks ago and I advised you to never let it go. You now want to sell it. Are you crazy?

John
Sometimes I feel like being a crazy one!

The wide FoV of the FL comes at a price: significant pincushion distortion, which has a "rolling bowl" effect when panning.
Pincussion distortion is rectilinear distortion and is sometimes a deliberate design feature to avoid rolling ball.
If rectilinear distortion is virtually eliminated as in Swarovski EL and NL, then some experience the rolling ball effect.

John

Pincussion distortion is rectilinear distortion and is sometimes a deliberate design feature to avoid rolling ball.
If rectilinear distortion is virtually eliminated as in Swarovski EL and NL, then some experience the rolling ball effect.

John
No/very little pincushion--->rolling ball
Too much pincushion--->rolling bowl
I prefer the former to the latter: "something" is still rolling but at least there is no rectilinear distortion.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back