• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I trade my SW SLC 7x42 Neu for an SLC HD? (1 Viewer)

No/very little pincushion--->rolling ball
Too much pincushion--->rolling bowl
I prefer the former to the latter: "something" is still rolling but at least there is no rectilinear distortion.
Where can I read more about this phenomenon (rolling bowl)?
Got the Leica UV 8x42 BR. The amount of pincushion distortion is given in %./? (Saw it on Allbinos.com)
It seems to me that the Leica UV 8x42 BR is "calmer"- cannot find the right word-than the SW SLC 7x42 Neu while panning. Is it rolling bowl?

Last edited:
Hi Szmako81

It's very tricky to choose binoculars based on advice but it does give you an excellent pointer on where to start. In field use is best but quite a few good optics shops (in the UK at least) are located where you can try the bins in some proper terrain which is really useful and saves money in the long run.

I like 7x mag as well having used the habicht 7x42's quite a bit but have had to learn to live with the fact that even a non image stabilised 10x42 or 10x32 will give most people in decent light more detail, I find them less enjoyable to use though so tend to stick to 8x as a maximum and for me I prefer high transmission and a larger exit pupil which is another reason why I don't own any Schmidt pechan bins or 10x for that matter - I could probably just about get by with a 10x56 exit pupil wise though given my age. Horses for courses.

Certain binoculars tend to have a certain buzz around them from time to time, a good comment or review tends to bring out a few very happy users and before you know it everyone wants an slc '42 or a sfl! I was considering a slc '42 myself but can usually wait long enough enjoying the bins I already have to get over it!

Will

Last edited:
Thanks Will for your comment!
I am going to stick to my SW SLC 7x42 Neu. Unfortunately, here in my area there are not any optics shops to try the bins.
I think you made a wise choice. The SLC Neu models are very good in many ways. Most users would not see much if
any difference in the HD models.
Jerry

Last edited:
To the OP, I am considering doing the opposite. I have a 2014 8x42 SLC and recently bought a 1996 7x42 SLC. I like the 7x42 so much that I have considered selling the much newer 8x42.

Last Friday I spent four hours comparing the two binos. Both were used tripod mounted and freehand.

I don’t know if it is my imagination, but I feel like the .75 inch increase in exit pupil is noticeable. I have to try to get shadowing or misalign the 7x. It is incredibly user friendly and forgiving.

The 8x does have better resolution, though I don’t know how to quantify this.

It is also more neutral or cool compared with the more yellow 7x. I don’t have the technical understanding to describe the viewing experience and optical characteristics of optics.

I perceive that the 8x is brighter in low light but I am new to the warmer glass.

After hunting season I intend to send the 7x42 in for whatever updates Swarovski is willing to make. If that closes the gap on resolution and brightness I am selling the 8x42.

Good luck with your decision. Based on all the previous comments I’m sure you won’t have any trouble selling them if you go that route.

EDIT: Apologies for not reading closer- I see you are sticking with your 7x.

Last edited:
To the OP, I am considering doing the opposite. I have a 2014 8x42 SLC and recently bought a 1996 7x42 SLC. I like the 7x42 so much that I have considered selling the much newer 8x42.

Last Friday I spent four hours comparing the two binos. Both were used tripod mounted and freehand.

I don’t know if it is my imagination, but I feel like the .75 increase in exit pupil is noticeable. I have to try to get shadowing or misalign the 7x. It is incredibly user friendly and forgiving.

The 8x does have better resolution, though I don’t know how to quantify this.

It is also more neutral or cool compared with the more yellow 7x. I don’t have the technical understanding to describe the viewing experience and optical characteristics of optics.

I perceive that the 8x is brighter in low light but I am new to the warmer glass.

After hunting season I intend to send the 7x42 in for whatever updates Swarovski is willing to make. If that closes the gap on resolution and brightness I am selling the 8x42.

Good luck with your decision. Based on all the previous comments I’m sure you won’t have any trouble selling them if you go that route.

EDIT: Apologies for not reading closer- I see you are sticking with your 7x.

Yes, the last 8x42 SLC:s have/had a more green tinge that should increases the perceive contrast, the overall transmission is higher as well (5-10% perhaps),
still a 44% larger exit pupil in the 7x42 can have an advantage in low light (if your eye pupil size is up to it, that is).

None of the binoculars are neutral in my eyes, but I don't think the cast is bothersome in either of them, I might even prefer the slightly "warmer" 7x42.

The difference in resolution you see is probably due to the magnification (if both are optically ok). You can test it on a resolution chart having the binoculars on a tripod. If you don't have a chart, use some small print and adjust the distance to the target accordingly (relative to magnification).

Last edited:
Yes, 7x bins are always enjoyable, and the color balance should be fine.

More info on the SLC (neu) history here:

As it was me who posted the words quoted by Vespobuteo from the link above, I'll just mention that I sold the newest, final version of SLC 7x42 a few weeks after buying it, for the following reasons:

1. Its image was nice but didn't seem level with 7x42 Dialyt let alone FL or UVHD Plus.
2. Similarly, if we can compare 7x with 8x/10x it lagged behind them in their final versions. Their glass looked much more HD somehow (don't ask me to describe that from memory!)
3. It was noticeably heavier than any I have just mentioned and that was for me the deciding drawback.
4. The three cons above outweighed the big pro, which was the very nice dioptre adjustment control, along with a great feeling of the utmost solidity.

I haven't regretted selling that SLC, whereas I'd be very reluctant to sell the final version of the 8 and possibly also of the 10, but then I have to confess to having a couple of sevens already (the Dialyt has gone though, as the FL and UV are so good - in different ways).

Hope this helps. But of course what I like won't always / often / ever? be what you and others may like. The difference in weight though is unarguable and you might even prefer a heavier bin. I don't as it always leads to shake after a minute or so.

Good luck!

Tom

Btw, note the other comments on that thread by ND Hunter, John Roberts etc.

As it was me who posted the words quoted by Vespobuteo from the link above, I'll just mention that I sold the newest, final version of SLC 7x42 a few weeks after buying it, for the following reasons:

1. Its image was nice but didn't seem level with 7x42 Dialyt let alone FL or UVHD Plus.
2. Similarly, if we can compare 7x with 8x/10x it lagged behind them in their final versions. Their glass looked much more HD somehow (don't ask me to describe that from memory!)
3. It was noticeably heavier than any I have just mentioned and that was for me the deciding drawback.
4. The three cons above outweighed the big pro, which was the very nice dioptre adjustment control, along with a great feeling of the utmost solidity.

I haven't regretted selling that SLC, whereas I'd be very reluctant to sell the final version of the 8 and possibly also of the 10, but then I have to confess to having a couple of sevens already (the Dialyt has gone though, as the FL and UV are so good - in different ways).

Hope this helps. But of course what I like won't always / often / ever? be what you and others may like. The difference in weight though is unarguable and you might even prefer a heavier bin. I don't as it always leads to shake after a minute or so.

Good luck!

Tom

Dear Tom,
I am always wearing a bino harness.

Szabolcs

Good luck!

Tom

Dear Tom,
Are You talking about the HD or the latest version of the SLC series?

Sz.

Dear Tom,
I am always wearing a bino harness.

Szabolcs
Dear Szabolcs, I should have been a bit clearer: it's not the carrying weight that bothered me; it's the held weight when pointing the binos to get a steady view. Despite being reasonably strong and in good health (fingers x'd!) I succumb to shake quite quickly.

Tom

Dear Tom,
Are You talking about the HD or the latest version of the SLC series?

Sz.
Hi Szabolcs,

I'm talking in all cases of the final versions as sold as Swarovskis: 7x42 finally discontinued (the 'Neu') in 2010 and 8/10x42 discontinued (WB) in 2020, just after I bought them. My 7x42 was pre-owned from another Bird Forum user and was the last observed example as mentioned by John Roberts below: no. D8013 84600. John posted the following as usual very well-researched reply to me in this link ... It is well worth revisiting the whole thread as you will get the experience of very serious birders as well as the more purely technically minded:

"Hi Tom (post #1),

In relation to changes to the SLC 7x42 . . .

• In mid 1992 production of both the 7x42 and the 10x42 commenced (the 8x42 SLC was only introduced in 2010, along with the all new 10x42)
The earliest x42 I’ve observed is a 10x42 model numbered D6226 07783, and the earliest 7x42 is D6237 10189

• By early 2003 at the latest, Swarobright/ dielectric prism coating was present on the 7x42 SLC (it was indicated on the box label)
It’s present by D7303/ but not D7027 (and it was introduced on the 10x42 by early 2001 at the latest, by D7103/ but not D7039)
n.b. Swarobright was introduced progressively across the SLC line over several years - it seems that each model required a different combination of coatings

• At the start of 2005 the ‘neu’ rubber armour covering was introduced across all the SLC line (observed from D7503)

• By mid 2007 Swaroclean was introduced across all the SLC line (the box label was marked ‘Easy to Clean’, with the earliest observed D7727/ but not D7721)

• At the start of 2009 the Swarotop/ anti-reflective coatings were updated (so D79 on)
See Dale Forbes' comments in post #29 at: Swarovski EL 42 60th anniversary coating

The original x42 models were discontinued in 2010. The last observed 7x42 is D8013 84600, and the last observed 10x42 is D8033 87526

- - - -

Across the life of the original SLC x42 series there were 3 different rubber armour coverings:
  • the original single colour coating with distinct ‘shoulders’, in either green or black
  • the updated single colour coating without the ‘shoulders’, in either green or black
  • the 2 colour neu coating in green and black

See the 3 versions on the x30 models, in the third image in post #11 at: Slc 8x30
n.b. RA coatings are often replaced during servicing, so they are only indicative as to dating a unit and therefore it’s original features, see post #12 in the link

- - - -

The 7x42 SLC is known for it’s optical quality including a large ‘sweet spot’. There are lot of threads on the forum with positive comments

And it seems that Swarovski made a special effort with the 7x42, since at it’s introduction it was competing with the likes of the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt and the 7x45 Night Owl,
and the Leica 7x42 BA
This is reflected in the notably greater weight of the 7x42 SLC compared the 10x42 - an extra 2.8 oz/ 80 g - which implies significantly more glass was used

John

p.s. by sometime in 1999 Swarodur/ hard external lens coating was present on the SLC line (using Wayback, by then it was listed on the Swarovski website on the SLC line)
- so all production from 2000 on (D70 on) will have Swarodur"

Hope this helps!
Tom

Hi Szabolcs,

I'm talking in all cases of the final versions as sold as Swarovskis: 7x42 finally discontinued (the 'Neu') in 2010 and 8/10x42 discontinued (WB) in 2020, just after I bought them. My 7x42 was pre-owned from another Bird Forum user and was the last observed example as mentioned by John Roberts below: no. D8013 84600. John posted the following as usual very well-researched reply to me in this link ... It is well worth revisiting the whole thread as you will get the experience of very serious birders as well as the more purely technically minded:

"Hi Tom (post #1),

In relation to changes to the SLC 7x42 . . .

• In mid 1992 production of both the 7x42 and the 10x42 commenced (the 8x42 SLC was only introduced in 2010, along with the all new 10x42)
The earliest x42 I’ve observed is a 10x42 model numbered D6226 07783, and the earliest 7x42 is D6237 10189

• By early 2003 at the latest, Swarobright/ dielectric prism coating was present on the 7x42 SLC (it was indicated on the box label)
It’s present by D7303/ but not D7027 (and it was introduced on the 10x42 by early 2001 at the latest, by D7103/ but not D7039)
n.b. Swarobright was introduced progressively across the SLC line over several years - it seems that each model required a different combination of coatings

• At the start of 2005 the ‘neu’ rubber armour covering was introduced across all the SLC line (observed from D7503)

• By mid 2007 Swaroclean was introduced across all the SLC line (the box label was marked ‘Easy to Clean’, with the earliest observed D7727/ but not D7721)

• At the start of 2009 the Swarotop/ anti-reflective coatings were updated (so D79 on)
See Dale Forbes' comments in post #29 at: Swarovski EL 42 60th anniversary coating

The original x42 models were discontinued in 2010. The last observed 7x42 is D8013 84600, and the last observed 10x42 is D8033 87526

- - - -

Across the life of the original SLC x42 series there were 3 different rubber armour coverings:
  • the original single colour coating with distinct ‘shoulders’, in either green or black
  • the updated single colour coating without the ‘shoulders’, in either green or black
  • the 2 colour neu coating in green and black

See the 3 versions on the x30 models, in the third image in post #11 at: Slc 8x30
n.b. RA coatings are often replaced during servicing, so they are only indicative as to dating a unit and therefore it’s original features, see post #12 in the link

- - - -

The 7x42 SLC is known for it’s optical quality including a large ‘sweet spot’. There are lot of threads on the forum with positive comments

And it seems that Swarovski made a special effort with the 7x42, since at it’s introduction it was competing with the likes of the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt and the 7x45 Night Owl,
and the Leica 7x42 BA
This is reflected in the notably greater weight of the 7x42 SLC compared the 10x42 - an extra 2.8 oz/ 80 g - which implies significantly more glass was used

John

p.s. by sometime in 1999 Swarodur/ hard external lens coating was present on the SLC line (using Wayback, by then it was listed on the Swarovski website on the SLC line)
- so all production from 2000 on (D70 on) will have Swarodur"

Hope this helps!
Tom
Thank You for giving such a thorough reply!
Have a nice day!
Szabolcs

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back