• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sicily in August (1 Viewer)

Mike Ball

United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I'm going to a wedding in Sicily in August next year. I know next to nothing about the birding there, and searching the web it looks as though Sicily is somewhat underwatched.

Does anyone have any suggestions for birding locations/day trips/good bird guides? Not entirely sure, but I think I will be staying in Catania.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi everyone. I'm going to a wedding in Sicily in August next year. I know next to nothing about the birding there, and searching the web it looks as though Sicily is somewhat underwatched.

Does anyone have any suggestions for birding locations/day trips/good bird guides? Not entirely sure, but I think I will be staying in Catania.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
The birding in Sicily in August shall most likely consist of the autumn migration of many species from north-central and eastern Europe, aswell as you'll very likely observe some of the resident birds of Sicily in Catania. Which include Hooded crows, jackdaws, magpies, spotless starlings, YLG gulls and if you're lucky maybe a p. falcon or two or a common buzzard. There are Bonelli's eagles and lanners in Sicily, but I think you'll have to travel a bit outside Catania's main hub.

August is not the best time, but there are plenty of south of Catania area which presumably attract many migrating waders in August. The best are the Pantani Cuba and Longarini Nature Reserve, Priolo Nature Reserve and Vendicari Nature Reserve.

You may also want to visit Mt Etna, where there are slim chances of encountering the endemic Sicilian sub-species of Rock Partridge.

You might want to contact Andrea Corso.

I guess it depends where you're staying, as it's a big place. Lake Lentini if you're staying in Catania, it used to get Pallas's Gull but I don't know if it still does.

The two times I've been I stayed in Trapani and went to the islands off there. In addition to what's been mentioned the local subspecies of Long-tailed Tit is extremely distinctive. I think Lanner numbers have crashed.

I guess it depends where you're staying, as it's a big place. Lake Lentini if you're staying in Catania, it used to get Pallas's Gull but I don't know if it still does.

The two times I've been I stayed in Trapani and went to the islands off there. In addition to what's been mentioned the local subspecies of Long-tailed Tit is extremely distinctive. I think Lanner numbers have crashed.
Yes it's certainly the largest island in the entire Mediterranean. But as for lentini, I'm not certain if it still gets Pallas' gulls (and always in winter as far as I know). However, this year there has been one adult seen in closeby Malta so it could still turn up occasionally in lentini too. Lanners in Sicily are still present, but as you've said they've probably decreased and they're also quite localised too (probably due to various factors), but the endemic subspecies of the long-tailed tit is reportedly quite common and abundant basically everywhere with enough trees.

I spent a couple weeks in sicily last september/october, while working most of the trip I still managed to get 107 species on my list! I was based originally near Catania but travelled a little bit once I'd finished my job. I'll list a few star locations here:

Etna- fantastic for raptors, with Booted Eagle on the lower slopes, and plenty Golden and a Bonellis at higher latitudes. Also loads of Rock Bunting and Wheatear near the Lava field, a sight to behold in itself!

Saline di Priolo Gargolo- an absolute must, fantastic for Greater Flamingo, Black Winged Stilt, Ferruginous Duck, Slender Billed Gull, and other southern Europe specialities. Waders I suspect will be beginning to swell in number in August but not yet at peak. I was lucky enough to see my first Marsh Sandpiper here, but also Kentish Plover and Little Stint were numerous. Also large groups of Spoonbill and a Whiskered Tern was an excellent surprise! Only negative is the site seems dilapidated and abandoned, I have no idea if it ever opens but it certainly wasn't when I was there. I observed everything I saw there from outside the fence looking in! Don't let it being closed stop you, you can see so much if you persevere and find a good vantage point.

Penisola Magnisi- right by Priolo Gargolo, this little peninsula appears to act as a migratory bottleneck, with several rare passage species showing up during my visit, including Richards Pipit, Red Throated Pipit, and Western Black Eared Wheater! Also a great site to see Stone Curlew!

Capo Murro Di Porco- another migratory hotspot that gave me a chance to see a juv Woodchat Shrike, while past records included Rufous Tailed Scrub Robin. Scopoli's Shearwater are reported often close in from the lighthouse, I wasn't so lucky but the cliff roosting Peregrines were a treat! Another good site for Stone Curlew.

Oasi del Simeto- I went here to look for il Pollo Sultanto (Western Swamphen) but was sadly eluded, although many others have located them there. I was however happy with far better views of Ferruginous Duck than at Priolo Gargolo, and also a group of wintering Black Necked Grebes.

In rural areas you'll see Hoopoe, Turtle Dove, Spotless Starling, and basically anywhere within a couple miles of the sea on the east side can produce migrants such as passage Black Kites that were still moving in decent numbers later in the year, I imagine you'll get a better diversity of migratory raptors in august. I also had one Short Eared Owl in similar circumstances, while Scops, Little, and Tawny are all resident and abundant. Check the coast for Blue Rock Thrush too, but you can even see them on top of houses and in gardens! I never saw the mythical Sicilian subspecies of Long Tailed Tit, from what I heard it is quite reclusive and restricted. Lanner Falcon was also missed, I couldn't find hardly any info at all on potential hotspots for it. Hope this helps.

PS, final bit of advice, if you can, check out Palermo, it's a great city, and the nearby Punto Capo Gallo is home to a wonderful secret should you wish to make the walk to the top. All the best!

August is peak month for wader passage and the classic wetland sites of SE Sicily like Longarini, Cuba, and Vendicari should be quite good, though the best spots will depend on water levels. Being based in Catania you won't be too far, while just outside of Catania the Simeto river mouth can also be very good.

As for local guides, contact Andrea Corso who is from Siracusa and knows Sicily like the back of his hand. If he is not available he will be able to point you towards someone who is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back