• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phillippine islands birding advice (1 Viewer)

KidChino

Germany
Next August/September, we'll be attending my brother-in-law's wedding at his fiance's home town of Baguio City, situated at the central western part of the Phillippine's main island of Luzon. Since we'll be staying for a full four weeks and I won't really be involved with the wedding preparations, there's going to be plenty of time for me to do some birding.

Does anyone have some advice regarding the best birding spots on Luzon? Haven't really thought about any specific targets though, but since I've never been to South East Asia before, I guess there will be plenty. Is going at it alone by rental car even feasible or would it be better to pre-arrange some guided tours? My future sister-in-law assures me the island is safe for foreigners travelling alone, but well... better safe than sorry I guess...

It was a few years ago now but trip report might be useful for sites and it would be good to enlist help of Wild Bird Club Philippines if you can they really helped us.

Attachments

• The Philippines write up.pdf
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 11
Mt Makiling, by prior arrangement, some accommodation is available within the University grounds and there are some very, good birds.

There's a pretty good, inter City bus service which will cheaply cover any large distances you decide to try and plenty of bird repots available.

I've been there this year alone!
The University area is very safe and good for accomodation.
I've been there with my Facebook pal for guide, in that area I could be introduced other native people.
Actually, birding in Mt. makiling is tooooo hard for me, because of thick branches of the forest. But, the campus area have many species of bird also, including rice field - IRRI (restricted area, but there are many rice fields around there)
I've stayed hotel named 'Searca Residence Hotel' in the University, which have nice amenities.
It could be hard tour for birding, but I can recommand to you.
If you don't mind, I think I can introduce who I've met over there.

Thank you very much everyone! Definitely gonna check out Mt. Makiling, looks very interesting. And that trip report was a nice read! Might have to try for that Philippine Eagle Owl, even though I'm kinda famous in our local birding community for my bad luck with owls...

Since accomodation will be provided for free by my future sister-in-law's family I'll rather drive an hour or two every day. Don't think the Mrs. would appreciate me staying somewhere else alone overnight anyway. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back