• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma macros (1 Viewer)

Rob Chace

Anyone using Sigma 180/3.5 or 150/2.8 macro? Will be purchasing a macro lens probably in the spring, & these two seem to fit the bill. I will be using it for insects, so require a longer working distance than say a 105mm. What in your book is more important, longer reach or bigger aperture? Any comments on these two lenses will be welcomed.
TIA Rob. :h?:

I have the 180/3.5 Canon fit. Not used it much yet as it will be for moth recording when the little b*gg*rs re-appear as the weather gets warmer. An informal trial in the office on the pencil sharpener with the lens attached to an EOS 10d shows excellent details down to an area of about 1cm square if that is any help. So optically and mechanically it seems well up to the job. This result was with the lens front about 25cm from the subject as I recall and in sunlight. The subject (pencil sharpener) was very bright in the camera viewfinder as well so light gathering was not a problem.

Last edited:
I use the 105mm for Draagonflies, Damselflies, Moths & Butterflies and find it an outstanding lens.

I have found that fieldcraft, i.e. picking the right conditions, time of sday, etc. are more important to getting good results than using a long lens since you can approach your subject much closer to compose & take your shots.

Good luck with your choice - macro is challenging but really good fun.

I've used the 180 and 105 (but not 150). Both were excellent lenses. I also used the 180 for general stuff – including birds – and it works well at all distances. Autofocus is responsive (unlike the 105, which chuggs along slower than manual focus).

There is no practical difference between an f2.8 and an f3.5 when doing macro work as you are most likely to use a small aperture for increased depth of field.

There is a review of the Tamron 180mm Macro over on Warehouse Express by Andy Rouse, he likes it. I have the Tamron 90mm Macro and am very impressed with it. All the reviews I read rated it above the Sigma lens at this focal length. With this in mind it may be worth looking for some comparisons between the Sigma & Tamron

Cheers

Alex

AlexH said:
There is a review of the Tamron 180mm Macro over on Warehouse Express by Andy Rouse, he likes it. I have the Tamron 90mm Macro and am very impressed with it. All the reviews I read rated it above the Sigma lens at this focal length. With this in mind it may be worth looking for some comparisons between the Sigma & Tamron

Cheers

Alex
Hi Alex,
I have thought about the Tamron, but is it worth the extra £100?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back