• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

simple connecter (1 Viewer)

Strandman

Birding World (Issue 211 page 300) shows a Coolpix 4500 being connected to a Swarovski with a simple metal disc, the inside edge of the disk being threaded to fit onto the 4500 lens and the outside edge of the disk being unthreaded and simply inserted under the rubber on the scope eyepiece. It looks temptingly simple- does anyone know where this disk is from and how well/securely it works compared to something like the EagleEye 4-screw adapter?

I've never seen it, but it certainly sounds interesting. A light weight adapter allowing easy access to the zoom would be a boon.

white-back said:
...with a simple metal disc, the inside edge of the disk being threaded to fit onto the 4500 lens and the outside edge of the disk being unthreaded and simply inserted under the rubber on the scope eyepiece.

I made a plastic disc that is similar to Andrew's "digicap" but fits inside the eyecup, but I would not trust a friction fit disc inside an eyecup to hold the weight of a camera. I am unfamiliar with the Swaro eyecup so maybe what you are describing is somewhat different. It seems a shame to me that none of these scope makers ever put any threads on the eyepieces.

Dave

Re: simple adaptor

white-back said:
Birding World (Issue 211 page 300) shows a Coolpix 4500 being connected to a Swarovski with a simple metal disc, the inside edge of the disk being threaded to fit onto the 4500 lens and the outside edge of the disk being unthreaded and simply inserted under the rubber on the scope eyepiece. It looks temptingly simple- does anyone know where this disk is from and how well/securely it works compared to something like the EagleEye 4-screw adapter?

White-eye,

I've enclosed a photo of a simple adaptor I made from a pesto sauce jar lid.
I drilled a hole in the center of it, bore it out using a dremmel tool, and it fits very tightly over the lens of a Coolpix 990. I had a rubber gasket that is 28 mm that fits nicely over the lens and gives a cushion to shield the lens from the glass on the 20-60X eyepiece on my Zeiss 85mm scope. The nubbed edges of the jar lid is great for giving me a very snug fitting over the eyepiece
such that I can leave the camera attached to the scope for a few minutes while use the binoculars or scratch... I wouldn't dare try to carry the scope with it attached but I no longer have to worry about centering the camera over the eyepiece. Vignetting is minimal at 10X and none at all at 20-30X.
Cost: $4.00 I've enclosed a scoped image of my kitten at 20 yards using the adaptor (I'd include bird images but they are all on my home computer.)

Cheers,

Jerry

Attachments

• coolpixadaptorb.jpg
    coolpixadaptorb.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 210
  • Asia01a.jpg
    Asia01a.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 220
Jerry

You've identified the main reason I'm thinking of moving from my expensive E-Eye adapter to something home made/simple- too many mishaps with the EE being fractionally off-centre and so a slight shadow across part of an otherwise OK or even good image. My carelessness to blame no doubt, but quite hard to spot on the LCD and all too obvious once you get home and open up on the PC.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back