• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sinai Advice (1 Viewer)

Alan G

Off to Sharm el Sheikh in a couple of weeks for a nice wee winter escape - albeit with the wife in tow.

Intend to get onto the new (and old) Sewage Works as well as St Katherine's/Mt Sinai and into the desert.

Also intend to visit Nabq and/or Ras Mohammend NP.

Reports seem to suggest Nabq & Ras Mohammed NP will offer similar species so rather than visiting both these large areas, and struggling to get to grips with what habitats they have to offer, I'm thinking I'd prefer to restrict myself to one or the other.

Can anyone with experience of these areas offer their thoughts on what area they preferrred - ease of getting around and variety of habitats being my main concerns.

Many thanks

Alan

I cannot compare Nabq with Ras Mohammed, as I have only visited the latter. That was during migration, so really not comparable to your visit; however, I remember the area as great, with wheatears, blackstart, reef-heron, and several species of raptors.

My main advice is the do an overnight at the St Katherine's because the area around the monastery had far more birds early in the morning before the arrival of the day crowds. If you want to go up the mountain to see the sunrice then perhaps two nights.

Cheers
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back