• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skua/Shearwater Cruise - Bridlington (1 Viewer)

digi-birder

Had a fantastic cruise out of Bridlington on the Yorkshire Belle today. The weather was perfect and the sea was not too choppy.

As we left the harbour, there was a Turnstone on the opposite pier end and some juvenile Guillemot bobbing about near the harbour wall.

We had a good seat where we could look out of both sides of the boat, remembering last year, when we were stuck on one side and the birds were all on the other side.

Once we had reached a good distance the commentary started, although it was a little faint and we were all asking one another what he'd just said!

Anyway, they started chumming and there were lots of Kittiwakes following us with a few Great Black-backed Gulls and Herring Gulls. Also spotted was a Little Gull, several Cormorants and some Shags and lots of juvenile gulls that could have been Herring or Great Black-backed and some Black-headed Gulls and Fulmar.

We came across more Guillemots on the way out, and some Puffin quite near to the boat. Then a small flock of Common Scoter flew past in the distance and several Common Tern were flying in. There were also good numbers of juvenile and adult Gannets everywhere.

Then the fun started! A Great Skua appeared and then we had an Arctic Skua. Then someone spotted a Sooty Shearwater. Altogether there were 4 Bonxies, 5 Arctic Skuas and 2 Sooty Shearwaters.

Among all this fun, the guide pointed out several Harbour Porpoise breaking the water. Some of the groups were quite large - about a dozen I would say, all gathering where the Gannets were fishing and you could see the fish jumping out of the water. Also among them were some larger cetaceans, which were thought to be Dolphins.

As if we hadn't had enough excitement for one day, we then spotted a Minke Whale break the surface of the water and we kept slowing and turning in order for everyone to get a good look. We think there may have been more than one, but possibly only two.

This whale-chasing caused us to be out a little longer than we should have been and we had to return to harbour a little faster than we went out. On the way back, as they were still chumming, a Manx Shearwater and another Great Skua mixed in with the Kittiwakes and gulls diving for the food.

We were a little wind-blown and hungry by the time we arrived back in Brid, so off we went for the obligatory fish and chip meal before setting off back home.

I didn't get any photos as it was impossible with the swaying of the boat, but as I was taking a photo back towards Flamborough Head (the site of the Oop North Bash earlier this year) a bird happened to fly across the path. Looks like a juvenile unidentifiable gull to me, but if anyone can ID it there's a pint in the Drunken Bustard waiting!

Attachments

• flamborough.jpg
    flamborough.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 241
Nice day! A fairly similar set to what we got off the Tyne today . . .

Our list was:
Fulmar
Manx Shearwater c. 200 (most in one huge flock)
Sooty Shearwater 10-12, right up beside the boat on the chum
Gannet
Cormorant
Teal
Eider
Oystercatcher
Arctic Skua 2
Bonxie (Great Skua) 5-6
Black-headed Gull
Common Gull
Lesser Black-back Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-back Gull
Kittiwake
Sandwich Tern
Common Tern
Guillemot
Razorbill
Puffin
Meadow Pipit (!) 1 flew over W 10 miles offshore

White-beaked Dolphin 6-7 (bow-riding at the front of the boat)
Minke Whale 1 :t:

And finished the day with delicious fresh-caught Mackerel for dinner (caught by the boatmen) 8-P

Michael

PS I'd go for probably 1st winter Herring Gull for the pic, but can't rule out LBB Gull

Last edited:
Congratualtions Diane and Michael. It sounds like you both had very successful days birding in some nice sunny conditions.

I'll have to give one of these boat trips a go one day.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back