• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skylarks and Reed Buntings. (1 Viewer)

Agricultural fields/Reed beds etc., these are very much birds of open spaces, both species have declined markedly since the millenia and before, particularly in the SEast of the country.

Cheers

I have over wintering skylarks on the field at the back of the house, but the arrival of spring will have them singing in big numbers - in late spring/summer they drown out most other birds. Reed beds or even reed filled dykes on the edges of marshy ground should get you Reed Buntings. If you cross the water to Kent I could easily point you in the birds directions.

Agricultural fields/Reed beds etc., these are very much birds of open spaces, both species have declined markedly since the millenia and before, particularly in the SEast of the country.

Cheers
Think you're referring to England, Ken? The OP appears to be in Ireland?

Think you're referring to England, Ken? The OP appears to be in Ireland?
Yes A, am referring to my area, in which they have been lost as a breeding bird/migrants, becoming more difficult to see at my locale.
With the caveat that it isn’t happening in other SEastern areas.
Didn’t know that the OP was in Ireland.

Cheers

Yes A, am referring to my area, in which they have been lost as a breeding bird/migrants, becoming more difficult to see at my locale.
With the caveat that it isn’t happening in other SEastern areas.
Didn’t know that the OP was in Ireland.

Cheers
There's an Irish flag below his name, so I'm assuming he is based there. Would have made sense for him to have stated where he is as he's asking for advise on where to find the birds!

I have a couple of good local sites for Skylark on my side of west London & Reed Buntings in a few places.

I've found country parks to be great locations to get reed buntings. Skylarks should be findable particularly on open fields and are distinguishable instantly by their particular flight and repeating call. I do agricultural areas often and rarely run into reed buntings- nature reserves/country parks that accommodate mixed habitats seem to be their preference.

I've found country parks to be great locations to get reed buntings. Skylarks should be findable particularly on open fields and are distinguishable instantly by their particular flight and repeating call. I do agricultural areas often and rarely run into reed buntings- nature reserves/country parks that accommodate mixed habitats seem to be their preference.
Or feeders in agricultural areas, pheasant feeding stations in winter for Reed Bunting.

Stubble fields good for winter Skylark flocks, set-aside fields and margins for Reed Bunting (and wetter waterside margins).

Knowing the flight call for overhead Skylark in migration times/winter useful too!

With the caveat I don't know if the distribution/abundance changes in Ireland - we need someone to answer that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back