• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Day in Luxor, Egypt (1 Viewer)

Birdfossil

Hi, I'm visiting Egypt in December and have a free day in Luxor to do some birding. Does anyone know of good sites, or perhaps a local guide I could get in contact with? Thanks for any advice.

Just a warning not to string Lesser Moorhen; never recorded in Egypt, but eBird has them all over the place:

Egyptian Plover, Barbary Partridge, Rosy-patched Bushshrike and many others are equally out of place (one visiting birder reported all three on the same day, under (almost) the same pyramid, but, hey)

eBird bar charts are only reliable in those weeks of the year when the bar is not of full height; bars that are full-height (all dark grey) should be ignored (no Sooty Falcons in December, for example)

Some links:

(Hope my advice doesn't come too late because it's December already.)

EDIT: To get an idea about what's being recorded frequently, check out . I think you can ask around there as well.

EDIT 2: For example, Spur-winged Lapwing and Black-winged Stilt are expected to be the more common waders.

EDIT 3: Some trip reports from here:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back