• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slimbridge WWT- why the wildfowl collections? (2 Viewers)

And with that the trolls have arrived! Thanks for the discussion everyone, I hope it has been memorable at the least!
Methinks you completely missed my post - I was being ironic (but perhaps only I knew what I meant ;-) ). It was a comment on post #48 - ie if we really believe that all animals don't have feelings and all they want is food and don't deserve freedom - then basically we as humans are total s#!t and we may as well say that the worse excesses of factory farming (and animal experimentation etc etc) are ok ...

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, I'm aware why pinioning occurs. My point is that pinioning should not occur, as it is mutilation and an obvious form of animal cruelty.
Pinioning at Slimbridge is done by professionals, by veterinarians, and is under strict regulations regarding the welfare of a bird.

WWT is already doing lots of conservation, but they could try bringing Dalmatian Pelicans back to England. The idea has been around since some years, but nobody actually did it. They could keep zoo birds in a wilder part of one of their reserves, and let the young live wild. Faster and cheaper would be transporting a group of wild immature pelicans from Greece or Romania. There are colonies of 100s of pairs there, and some pelicans are quite tame, eating fisherman scraps. But transport of wild birds could be well impossible because of regulations, permits etc. WWT has both experience with aviary birds and natural lakes, so are well suited for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back