• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small passerine, Bath, England (1 Viewer)

Charlie Spencer

United States
26 May 2023, around 0800 on a clear, breezy day, roughly 18C / 64F.

The bird was perched in the top of a large deciduous tree, roughly 25 feet up, in downtown Bath, England. It made little movement beyond grooming. If it called or sang, I didn't hear it over the wind and traffic. It remained in place for several minutes.

I see a unmarked white underparts, breast, throat, and lower half of face; short, notched, tail; dark gray undertail and underside of primaries; dark gray legs; a gray cap and nape; a pale / white eyebrow that appears to completely encircle the cap; a narrow dark eyeline from base of bill to merge with the gray at the nape below the extended eyebrow; narrow, short bill of indeterminate color.

I started with tits but I see no trace of yellow, blue, or dark chin patch; and the tail looks too long. Immature Firecrest seems to be an option.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC06819.JPG
    DSC06819.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
  • DSC06821.JPG
    DSC06821.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
  • DSC06824.JPG
    DSC06824.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 58
  • DSC06827.JPG