• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snakes on the sidewalk, Bonking Turtles and a few sps on Paphos Headland April 13-20th 2024 (1 Viewer)

KenM

Last visited April ‘22, always a privilege and more…to go back.
With great glee we left this rain sodden island for the heat and light of this paradise isle, albeit somewhat sobered by the ongoing horrors on their doorstep.
Even with the passage of time, the destination still provides excitement…if only the attendent processing…booking/cab/train/plane and transfer could be so joyous!
Arriving at Victoria Stn. with assumed ample time in hand, to find the Time Table Destination board in dissaray…points failure at East Croydon!
Two uniformed staff with clipboards being approached by anxious passengers, mostly with English not being their native tongue…..😩
Once directed to the “correct” platform, a slight concern arose knowing that the terminus was Eastbourne and we needed Gatwick.
The idea of getting on the wrong “straight through” train was a concept too frightening to consider!😮
Some seven and a half hours later, we were soaking up the sunset with kebabs and that “Red stuff”.🤩

To be continued….

Sunday the 14th had me up “breakfasted” and out the hotel door by 7.15am, then a 15-20 minute walk placed me on the headland awaiting “allcomers”🤞
An hour to kill before the Architectural Ruin opens its doors, to an ever increasing footfall year on year.
The first couple of hours can be particularly rewarding, before the disgorging coaches arrive and spill out their customers.
Later that morning had me walking back South past the 1st Arc.site towards the toilet block, when a Thrush sized bird flew out of the weedy grass field towards the perimeter fence shrubbery.
Fortunately, I was already fully extended and focused, a couple of shutterbursts later
I realised my first life tick Great Reed Warbler!, certainly not on my radar making me extremely pleased.
As is invariably the way, that first day had me piling on the migs- Common Nightingale, Collared Flycatcher, Wood Warbler, Bonelli’s Warbler, Black-Eared Wheatear,
Lesser Whitethroat, Hoopoe, Tripit and RTPipit.

Monday 15th employing the same regime had me adding another Cyprus Lifer!…plus more newcomers.
Outside the site on the headland, I saw 4 Yellow Wags (badly) fly in off the sea over the perimeter fence only to disappear from view, hopefully pick those up when the site opens I mused.
Upon entering the site I ambled to the right adjacent to the turnstile exit in doing so bumping into another birder…only a Limey!😊
As we chatted about the recent Collared Flycatchers seen, he suddenly blurted “Robin!”
A 1st for both of us, albeit a very shy and elusive one.
He then went off looking for the Collared Fly, whilst I hung around for “redbreast” eventually showing long enough for a shot….my 2nd tick!

Moving off to circuit the headland within the site, had me noting my first flight of Glossy Ibis heading as always North, plus a lone Whinchat perched up in the weedy field.
Soon followed by 8 Short-toed Larks flying over, then a Woodchat Shrike below hunting in a weedy field, plus another Nightingale singing, with at least 3 “different” Cuckoos coming and going from alternate compass points within minutes of one another!
At this point (and throughout) it seemed that Brits (birders) were outnumbered by certainly the Dutch and also the Germans.
Always finding it humbling somewhat, after speaking to our Continental cousins in fluent English (them…not I 🤣) exchanging goodbyes, then they resuming their respective native tongues.

To be continued….

Attachments

• IMG_1213.jpeg
    IMG_1213.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 45
  • DSC04137.jpeg   Sibilatrix2..jpeg
    DSC04137.jpeg Sibilatrix2..jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC04414.jpeg    Flying LW.jpeg
    DSC04414.jpeg Flying LW.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC03867.jpeg     Swallow1..jpeg
    DSC03867.jpeg Swallow1..jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1234.jpeg
    IMG_1234.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1231.jpeg
    IMG_1231.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
Tuesday 16th April, a change of morning itinerary was called for, with the missus fancying a trip into the Old Town at the top of the hill.
After breakfast we jumped on the bus, then onwards and upwards to “sweltering heights”.🤣
Apart from photo ops.with Common Swift…no Pallid encountered, just Swallows, House Martins + a single Sand Martin (only one of the trip).
There is a new resplendant Cafe Nerro at the top of the hill giving great views over the escarpment down to the Lighthouse and headland.
Potentially great for big ticket items sailing over, with me looking up too late with caffeine “in hand” when a “possible” pale harrier drifted aloft in a Westerly direction.😩
The afternoon found me back at the Arc.Ruin, where I saw an Eastern Bonelli’s, Collared Fly, White Wagtail and Nightingale + dipping 😩on the long staying Hume’s Yellow-Browed Warbler.
It was heard calling and seen briefly, by I believe a single observer in a Dutch group of birders, suspect he had to buy the drinks that evening!🤣

To be continued…..

Attachments

• DSC01931.jpeg    GRW1..jpeg
    DSC01931.jpeg GRW1..jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03250.jpeg   Swifty1..jpeg
    DSC03250.jpeg Swifty1..jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1615.jpeg
    IMG_1615.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    979.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC02792.jpeg    Collareds Go.jpeg
    DSC02792.jpeg Collareds Go.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03255.jpeg   Swallow 8..jpeg
    DSC03255.jpeg Swallow 8..jpeg
    686 KB · Views: 10
17th April, with an early start on the headland brought me another flight of Glossy Ibis heading NW., my first Izzy, Stone Curlews (3), Common Whitethroat (2), circa 4 Red-throated Pipits,+ a mix of feldegg and supercilliaris/dombrowski type Yellow Wags. Also a single Cattle Egret over + Purple Heron and another flock(6) of STLarks….a good mix and start to the day.
Returning to the Arc.Ruin later enabled me to image some of the “headland birds” also to tick off Turtle Dove, Northern Wheatear and Pied Fly.

To be continued…..

Attachments

• DSC03975.jpeg    Superdomb.4..jpeg
    DSC03975.jpeg Superdomb.4..jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC03926.jpeg    Feldegg3..jpeg
    DSC03926.jpeg Feldegg3..jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC03827.jpeg   Flyover St.Curlews.jpeg
    DSC03827.jpeg Flyover St.Curlews.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC03594.jpeg   STLLark.01..jpeg
    DSC03594.jpeg STLLark.01..jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC03632.jpeg    RTPips.02.jpeg
    DSC03632.jpeg RTPips.02.jpeg
    807 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC03493.jpeg    Izzy.2..jpeg
    DSC03493.jpeg Izzy.2..jpeg
    483.1 KB · Views: 25
Thursday 18th April,

a Common Sandpiper on the headland first thing, with a few YellowWags in off the sea then took a rain cheque on the Arc.Ruin meeting the missus outside at the Bus Terminus for our trip to Coral Bay c30mins North, along the coast.
It’s a “ritual” walk that we make each time we visit, walking circa 2 miles along the coast path to a family run restaurant where we stop for….. you guessed it…coffee!
Last time we traversed this path we found Red-Backed Shrike, no such luck this time 😩however…more Sardinian Warblers than you could shake a stick at!
Linnet, Greenfinch, another flock of STLarks and a “singing” unseen Great Reed Warbler emanating from the reeds that grow beneath the earth cliff.
Don’t know if “singing” was the right description, perhaps “deep throat”would’ve been more apt.😂
On our coast path return, a chance encounter with a “two for the price of one” shot presented itself…which I took full advantage of.😊
Returning to the bus terminus at Paphos,
I slipped back into the site for “seconds” to finish off the day, with no real surprises save a “calling” Great Spotted Cuckoo…alas! to which I never laid eyes on.😩

Attachments

• DSC05258.jpeg   Sard.1..jpeg
    DSC05258.jpeg Sard.1..jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04214.jpeg   Hoop and Wheat 2..jpeg
    DSC04214.jpeg Hoop and Wheat 2..jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC04266.jpeg   Swallowtail.jpeg
    DSC04266.jpeg Swallowtail.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC04803.jpeg    Clouded Yellow.jpeg
    DSC04803.jpeg Clouded Yellow.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
17th April, with an early start on the headland brought me another flight of Glossy Ibis heading NW., my first Izzy, Stone Curlews (3), Common Whitethroat (2), circa 4 Red-throated Pipits,+ a mix of feldegg and supercilliaris/dombrowski type Yellow Wags. Also a single Cattle Egret over + Purple Heron and another flock(6) of STLarks….a good mix and start to the day.
Returning to the Arc.Ruin later enabled me to image some of the “headland birds” also to tick off Turtle Dove, Northern Wheatear and Pied Fly.

To be continued…..
That dombrowski Wagtail is a cracker Ken!

Friday 19th April,

A day I shall not forget, for some “well off the radar” ticks, to include the cock-up of a sp that would’ve been straightforward, had I properly looked at it!😩
My early strike to the headland, had me raising my bins through the perimeter wire, to view a distant silhouetted bird perched up on a seemingly dead tree (very much alive as it turned out).
The fully extended Bridge should sort it out I mused, even though it was a grey cloudy start.
A quick burst revealed a green backed Beeater sp. I presumed a Blue-Cheeked?

A quick fist clench to the gods…and I was on my way to the headland.
Upon arrival, I noted a long white necked bird (face on) close in to the shore line, thinking diver/desmarestii?…it dived….then up came this not insubstantial piece of “flotsam”.😮

Trying to get purchase on it, before it submerged, then up popped the mystery white-necked bird’ followed almost simultaneously by the surfacing “flotsam”.
A quick burst from the bridge before it submerged again, this sequence of appearing then disappearing, went on for a number of minutes before I viewed the first image!

To my eye, it resembled a small Hippo…before I got my “eyes in” on the visual conundrum…
”Great bonking turtles” I exclaimed!
Presume not an uncommon sight for the island and probable Leatherbacks?
Alas! the white necked bird was not seen thereafter, I’m afraid the Turtles took president on that occasion.

Charging back to the Arc.Ruin I came across this dead snake on the sidewalk, at the same time as another oncoming birder advanced towards (the snake having been identified after an image sent to BF…as a Coin Snake)
After imaging, I mentioned the Blue-Cheeked Bee-Eater to him, too which he thanked, before running off across the road to hopefully relocate and tick off!

Once inside the Arc.Ruin, it became apparent that most of the Collared Flys had departed and had been replaced by Pieds.
Now 2 Woodchats were present, 3 Northern Wheats.,Tawny Pipit, female Subalpine Warbler, 1 Eastern Bonelli’s, Nightingale, 2 Turtle Doves, 2 Laughing Doves, fem.Common Redstart, Whinchat, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, Collared Flycatcher, 6 Jackdaw and 2 Common Bee Eaters.
The last being always hoped for, but never realised in all previous visits…today was the day!

To be continued….

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpeg
    IMG_1608.jpeg
    606.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1228.jpeg
    IMG_1228.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • DSC04600.jpeg      Beeater10..jpeg
    DSC04600.jpeg Beeater10..jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC04745.jpeg   Flying Beeater.jpeg
    DSC04745.jpeg Flying Beeater.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC04623.jpeg     Beeater16..jpeg
    DSC04623.jpeg Beeater16..jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC05079.jpeg    Flying Woodchat.jpeg
    DSC05079.jpeg Flying Woodchat.jpeg
    650.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC03392.jpeg     Coin Snake.jpeg
    DSC03392.jpeg Coin Snake.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 26
  • DSC04464.jpeg    Loggerheads 18.jpeg
    DSC04464.jpeg Loggerheads 18.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC04465.jpeg   Loggerheads 17..jpeg
    DSC04465.jpeg Loggerheads 17..jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1219.jpeg
    IMG_1219.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
(y)Yeh, I get you, its like really annoing the level of english on the forrum generally bad spelling and no punctuatshunn as well it really is ;)

Sat.20th April,

With the last 2/3rds of the day left and our bags packed for our 4pm transfer to the airport with time being of the essence….I legged it to the headland for “ the last hurrah”.

No Turtles on this occasion, however a solitary Turnstone was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!🤣
A couple of RTP’s and a STLark were the only passerines that I could glean, thus a hasty retreat back to the bus station to meet the “trouble and strife” for one last trip to Old Town Paphos.
Once again, coffee in hand, staring into the blue hoping a Pallid (Swift or Harrier wasn’t fussy) might grace my bridge, but to no avail.😩

The entertainment was provided by 3 Hoodies constantly diving at a drone…that may well have been flown for that very purpose.😮
With caffeine injected, the plan was for us to return to the bus terminus/Arc Ruin, wife back to the hotel and moi to re-enter those
“hallowed portals” once more… to if possible winkle out some more pixcellated treasures!

As time slipped away with each circuit within, a Nightingale singing here, a Crested Lark there and passing Bee Eaters so high, I couldn’t see.😩 I decided to restrict myself to a smaller area and squeeze every ‘movement’ that I encountered.
Many Sardinians and Great Tits later, a very close flyover Purple Heron followed by a single male Collared Fly and then with a casual flick of the bins….male Subalpine…my most revered Sylvia of all.
Would’ve preferred to have been closer, as it was more out of sight than in…but hey!..I ain’t complaining to find it at the last knockin’s.🤩

It’s a very hard act to follow, 7 days at circa 12 miles per day…and my joints reliant on Ibrupofen for relief.
Then coming back to a cold damp wet terrain, where Wellington Boots are the order, indeed impossible to traverse without.
With a very limited return almost guaranteed, unlike Paphos in the sun, where everyday can be touched by Eastern promise.

…..Can’t wait to return.👍

Attachments

• DSC02879.jpeg   BEW.01..jpeg
    DSC02879.jpeg BEW.01..jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02794.jpeg  flying Collared.jpeg
    DSC02794.jpeg flying Collared.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC04513.jpeg    P.Fly.1..jpeg
    DSC04513.jpeg P.Fly.1..jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC05198.jpeg    Subalp2..jpeg
    DSC05198.jpeg Subalp2..jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC05151.jpeg     PH1..jpeg
    DSC05151.jpeg PH1..jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1318.jpeg
    IMG_1318.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1207.jpeg
    IMG_1207.jpeg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1209.jpeg
    IMG_1209.jpeg
    757.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    851.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Enjoying the write up except the excessive "use" of speech marks when they aren't needed which seems to be modus operandi of the OP. Why oh why? So annoying when reading.
Ken has no idea whatever how to use speech marks and is resistant to all advice on the subject. If he never used them he would be right more often than he is by using them.

Incidentally do you think he knows his picture of a flying Bee-eater is Blue-cheeked?

John

Yes, not least because he has said so in the narrative.

Edit - I guess he may not be referring to this particular bird, but if he has seen both species not sure it matters particularly.
Well, he found one perched and later sent another birder off after it: one wonders where the flying bird (photographed later than the perched one) fits into that scenario....

John

Ken has no idea whatever how to use speech marks and is resistant to all advice on the subject. If he never used them he would be right more often than he is by using them.

Incidentally do you think he knows his picture of a flying Bee-eater is Blue-cheeked?

John

Well spotted!
Seeing the first BCBEATER at c7.30 am and the 2nd perched CBE bird at 9.30, then only hearing CBE’s flying over, then the imaged flying bird an hour later which I shot…coming out of strong light, I deferred to the common without giving it a second thought!
Perhaps my endorphs were riding high? after such a morning…I rest my case.😮

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back