• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Solitary Wasp ? (1 Viewer)

coaltit

United Kingdom
I videoed this particular wasp in my kitchen trying to Identify it through the web I,ve not found this particular wasp thou I have just ordered on line Solitary Wasps one of the (Naturalists Handbooks) by peter f yeo, perhaps someone here may be able to help with id before I get the guide I,ve ordered, The wasp was small with a rotund abdomen was black in colour or very dark brown and had 3 stripes which were a creamy colour on the abdomen one stripe above the bulge on the abdomen and two below the legs from the body were black then yellow then black again, the antennae were very small and thou I saw similar wasps like this one on the web one feature really stood out and no comparison could be made was that on this wasp on the leading edge of both wings was a dark smudge or mark hardly any other solitary wasp had this and the ones that did looked nothing like my wasp, also on the lower back of the wasp were two tiny marks close together these looked creamy in colour to Ancistrocerus gazella looked similar but one view was all I could get of that wasp so just a probable... I get a selection of hoverflies and wasps in my conservatory and kitchen sometimes even bumblebees and others now such that I,m looking at different guides on them to buy.

Just to say the Naturalists Handbook isn't a field guide so you're unlikely to ID it with the book + would need a specimen to key it out- not an easy group of insects to CORRECTLY identify!

Just to say the Naturalists Handbook isn't a field guide so you're unlikely to ID it with the book + would need a specimen to key it out- not an easy group of insects to CORRECTLY identify!
There are not many books that cater for this group of Insects so any help will be appreciated I,m certainly starting to see more Insects like this in the summer than I can remember before.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back