• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some BirdFair notes (1 Viewer)

typo

Fortunately the overnight rain had stopped by the time I got to the show but there was still a lot of cloud about early on though we did get some broken sunshine later. My old eyes need the wick turned up on the illumination these days to really pick out the details, but by lunch time much of the early haze had burnt off and there was some fine viewing.

Firstly I'll try to answer some of the questions from BruceH's thread.

I did manage to persuade the Nikon rep to release a M7 10x30 from it's glass case and take it out in the sunshine (along with a Prostaff 7 8x30). The internals were all painted black, all be it a black with a bit of a sheen to it, although the sun was at a high angle I did manage to get some misbehaviour on glare. I later checked out the Lynx as well and it was similar, perhaps marginally better. De Putter Junior told me they had raised the issue with the manufacturer and there is no quick fix. Under the conditions yesterday I found both very acceptable but know they wouldn't be problem free with the sun low in the sky. Show stopper or minor irritation would be down to the individual.

I did try to get answers to Bruce's questions, but the rep first denied there was a problem, then said it was a trivial percentage, then said they were all being fixed under warranty, and then ended up asking me what the state of play was! Sorry, I learned nothing of value.

The Prostaff 7 8x30 is not nearly as good as the M7 but I suspect it will do very well. It is physically bigger, but still much smaller than the most 8x32s. Though it did slightly better than the M7 on the glare test it's clearly behind on FOV and contrast. It got pretty close on sharpness though. It's list price is £100 less than the M7 but it's bound to get discounted and I think it offers a lot of appeal as jacket pocket or car bino. The Fieldscope question was too late for me.

I'm not a scope person and wasn't entirely at home trying to check out the Opticron MM3 60mm for Frank. Chris Galvin was valiantly working to sort out bodies and eyepieces for me to do direct comparisons and Garin was immediately walking off with them. We got there in the end. The M3 50mm has been quite a success. I compared it to the Nikon ED50 a while back and as far as I could judge it was a pretty even battle with the Nikon having the advantage on size and the Opticron the wider angle and better ER. The 60mm is about 60g, just over 2oz, heavier but somewhat longer. Doesn't quite have the 'travel scope' look but it's probably just as easy to transport. I was getting the cleaner, chrisper view with the SLD. It involved a bit of guesswork on the magnification but the maximum was 36x on 50mm and 45x on the 60mm. A 25% increase in magnification power and a 20% increase in objective diameter. In practice I found the view getting soft before I reached those limits as you would expect, but by matching the eyepiece settings I found I was getting the full 25% advantage in magnification which suggests the 60mm was even sharper than the 50. I think many are going to find the 44% increase in brightness and potentially 25% improvement in usable power pretty persuasive.

I did ask the Kowa guy about an 883 replacement/update. He said he was completely unaware of any plans. There are some new photo accessories. Two that slip over the eyepiece and an i-pone adaptor. He said he would personally like to see an extender like the Leica but he didn't know if it was likely. Curiously there was a big Japanese contingent on the stand.... just observing.

A few comments on new models. Several were pre-production samples. I have learned from past experience that they are not always representative of what you can buy, but some were really showing some promise.

The new Meopta Meopro was very interesting. It now has ED glass and I suspect dielectric coatings and appeared a match on sharpness if not quite contrast to Meostar. It feels better made than the old model as well, but not quite the Meostars level of engineering. No 6.5x unfortunately. The show samples had been assembled in the USA but they didn't know where the main production run would be. The UK pricing seems quite high ranging from £439 for the 8x32 to £509 for the 10x42. Apparently it's been decided that the Meostar 12x50HD and 15x56HD will be sold in the UK from early next year but nothing sheduled for a 8x32HD unfortunately.

The new Minox BL HD I rather liked. It has a appealing simplicity to the design and the mechanicals felt nice and slick. The focus wheel patterning looks better in the flesh than the photos. The FOV was good, CA well behaved, and sharpness about right for the price which looks like it will be just below the Meopro offering. I think they may have dropped the MIG claim on this model, and it feels like a modern Kamakura offering... which I think is a positive.

Hawke have finally drawn a line under the the Panorama problems and dropped it. They did have the new Frontier ED 8x32 on show. Nice little binocular, but the demo sample's view was not a match for the x43s. List price is £230 and I just felt it should be a little cheaper or preferably a little sharper. I might get a chance to take a closer look sometime soon.

Kowa have extended the BD XD range but for me the CA remains a big issue. I could not extract any info on a possible replacement for the Genesis.

The Vanguard Endeavour ED has been a bit of a recent hit on the forum, particularly with the heavy discounting. The MkII was announced a while back featuring Hoya glass. We heard that they were also moving to the Philippines for production but the guys on the stand knew nothing about that. They had pre-production 8x32, 8 and 10x42s on the stand. They made some big claim that some US prof turbocharged the optical design as well. Whoever had a hand in this did an absolutely first rate job on the optics. I'm not known for lavish praise, but I really thought these were exceptional for the price. The sharpness and contrast were as good as the best I'd seen all day, including the alphas. I'm told they are not going to be the high discount offerings of the past. The 8x32 will be around £275 and the x42s around £400. Cosmetically and mechanically little has changed with the new model, and physically they don't have the appeal of others on the market, but who cares if the view is that good. Now I have to issue the necessary warning. These were pre-production samples and could well have been cherry picked. We will have to see how the retail samples compare. I'll see if I can get one to try.

For those who like a 7x The Kite Ibis ED7x42 is definitely worth a look.

I've posted comments on the Zeiss SF and Nikon Aculon elsewhere

David

PS. I did ask about the Canon SX60 but if they knew they certainly weren't saying. More than their job's worth it seems.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your efforts David, much appreciated. I suppose Canon have no plans to update their IS binocular range?

Many thanks for your view, David.

There will be many people looking forward to the new Vanguard Endeavor ED II when they finally arrive here, and it's good to hear that the switch to Hoya glass has lived up to claims and expectations.

£275.00 for an sub-alpha contender mid-market 8x32 seems pretty good value ; I'll be having a look.

Best wishes,

I did manage to persuade the Nikon rep to release a M7 10x30 from it's glass case and take it out in the sunshine. The internals were all painted black, all be it a black with a bit of a sheen to it, although the sun was at a high angle I did manage to get some misbehavior on glare. I later checked out the Lynx as well and it was similar, perhaps marginally better. De Putter Junior told me they had raised the issue with the manufacturer and there is no quick fix. Under the conditions yesterday I found both very acceptable but know they wouldn't be problem free with the sun low in the sky. Show stopper or minor irritation would be down to the individual.

David, this was almost my exact experience. I had read about the issue on BF before I purchased the M7 10x30 but when I received mine, the unit looked "fine" on the inside but I also noticed that sheen.

My original experience was just looking up toward a very tall pine tree in the backyard against a partly-sunny sky. It wasn't even that bright. When I panned upward, my view was flooded with light as if someone was shining a flashlight into the objective.

The thing that really bothered me was how easy it was to replicate with *any* light source.

Then, when I compared it to my Monarch ATB 12x42, the issue was amplified that much more.

I did try to get answers to Bruce's questions, but the rep first denied there was a problem, then said it was a trivial percentage, then said they were all being fixed under warranty, and then ended up asking me what the state of play was! Sorry, I learned nothing of value.

This tells me that they were fully aware of the issue and were trying to downplay it. Given Nikon's recent quarterly results, they're obviously not going to issue a recall any time soon.

Very disappointing from such a strong company.

Thanks for the leg work! :t:

There will be many people looking forward to the new Vanguard Endeavor ED II when they finally arrive here, and it's good to hear that the switch to Hoya glass has lived up to claims and expectations.

I'm thinking of picking up a pair too. (They are selling for $500 in the USA.) After reading about these on BF, I really want to compare these to my Zeiss Terra ED 10x42.

Thanks for all of that info David. Boy, vanguard has gained a nice reputation over the years.
I haven't seen any of their optics in person, but now I'd like to.

Many thanks for this David! Appreciate your asking the Kowa question. If Kowa isn't planning on putting out a new version of the TSN-883 any time soon, seems like an extender for higher mags would allow Kowa to keep up with Swaro's 95mm going to 70x. Or at least they could make the adapter toward the end of this review available:

http://www.binomania.it/wordpress/?p=791

David,

Yes, thank you for the observations on those non-alpha bins and for answering some of our questions. The middle range sometimes gets forgotten in favor or the "latest and greatest (read "most expensive") even though this is where the best value can be found.

Could you elaborate more on the Kite Ibis ED7x42? Comparing the photo to the Minox BL HD, the double hinges are much thinner and would probably allow me to get three fingers in the open space rather like an EL rather than two like the thick bridged Minox. Plus, it's 7x, which I prefer in a roof for the better perception of depth, and the 7x42 species has become endangered.

Don't have the specs on the Kite's FOV. One thing I like about the BL HD is the 7.8* FOV, which is the widest Minox has made in a full sized bin. Even their top of the line 8x42 HG is only 7.2*.

I'm particularly interested in how the Kite compares to the Minox. I don't think Kite bins are sold here, so the 30 year warranty, which seems exceptional for Europe where the warranties are often much shorter than the same companies offer in the U.S., won't be valid. But if they are reliable, that might be less of a factor than their appealing $1,000 range price tag.

If I ever become Absolute Dictator of the Universe, my first two dicta will be that binoculars shall not be priced above $1,200 and that everyone will wear their underwear on the outside to bring some humility (and better hygiene) to all humankind. :smoke:

Brock

Vanguard Endeavour ED

I would just like to endorse David's comments about this instrument, it really is that good.

Lee

I would just like to endorse David's comments about this instrument, it really is that good.

Lee

Totally agree, I have the Vanguard Endeavour 8x42ED and tested them side by side, now I'm no expert but for the price I think they are a cracking pair of bins and the difference in sharpness and brightness was considerably better than the Mk1, I don't think there would be much difference in these and any £1000+ binoculars, I will defo be having a upgrade.

Damian.

David
I looked at the first version of the Vanguard about a year ago and found them too light, too narrow a field of view and the focus was way too quick. I see the new one has improved the first two any thought on the speed of the focus?
Steve

David,

Yes, thank you for the observations on those non-alpha bins and for answering some of our questions. The middle range sometimes gets forgotten in favor or the "latest and greatest (read "most expensive") even though this is where the best value can be found.

Could you elaborate more on the Kite Ibis ED7x42? Comparing the photo to the Minox BL HD, the double hinges are much thinner and would probably allow me to get three fingers in the open space rather like an EL rather than two like the thick bridged Minox. Plus, it's 7x, which I prefer in a roof for the better perception of depth, and the 7x42 species has become endangered.

Don't have the specs on the Kite's FOV. One thing I like about the BL HD is the 7.8* FOV, which is the widest Minox has made in a full sized bin. Even their top of the line 8x42 HG is only 7.2*.

I'm particularly interested in how the Kite compares to the Minox. I don't think Kite bins are sold here, so the 30 year warranty, which seems exceptional for Europe where the warranties are often much shorter than the same companies offer in the U.S., won't be valid. But if they are reliable, that might be less of a factor than their appealing $1,000 range price tag.

If I ever become Absolute Dictator of the Universe, my first two dicta will be that binoculars shall not be priced above $1,200 and that everyone will wear their underwear on the outside to bring some humility (and better hygiene) to all humankind. :smoke:

Brock

Brock,

I don't know if or when Kite will actually be in the US but Eagle Optics is listed as a dealer though they don't appear to have any models for sale currently. The Ibis ED range is their latest Kamakura product with ED glass, all their latest coatings and relatively low field curvature. I've previously suggested I'd want the 8x42 to be sharper for the money but I had no quibbles with the 7x42 I tried. Very bright and sharp pretty much edge to edge. However it's a 122m/1000m view so only a 51* AFOV; the same as my Opticron 7x36 but about 4oz heavier. It is expensive at £839 in the UK though.

I can't remember now how many fingers I tucked between the barrels but I'm sure it wasn't all, but probably better than the Minox x44s though. Mind you there would be more room with wider IPDs than mine. I don't believe BL HD is as sophisticated in it's optical design and coatings as the Ibis, but it is less than half the price, looks good and performance pretty respectable for the price, The wider bridge components might be down to the polycarbonate construction. I thought the 8x33 was the pick of the range.

Hope that helps,

David

David
I looked at the first version of the Vanguard about a year ago and found them too light, too narrow a field of view and the focus was way too quick. I see the new one has improved the first two any thought on the speed of the focus?
Steve

Are you sure that was the Endeavour ED? It sounds much more like the the Spirit ED. I tried a lot of binoculars yesterday and I don't remember that detail. I'm more likely to have remembered if the focus was slow.

David

I went to the Bird Fair on Friday planning to get a pair of reasonably priced small, slim & handy 8x30/32 bins (theoretically, for Mrs C, they will double as a spare pair for yours truly). Unfortunately, it wasn't possible to compare all the models directly, but for what it's worth I'll give my impressions. I thought that the Kite Lynx 8x32s distinctly better than the Monarch 7 8x30s - I'm not one for technical language here so all I'll say is that it seemed to have a snappier 'walk in' image. I too was very impressed by the pre-production Vanguard Endeavour ED 8x32s which seemed optically very similar to the Kites. The Hawke Frontier ED 8x32 looked the real deal, but didn't have the 'snap' of the Kites and didn't seem as good as the Monarchs. I was able to compare the 8x30 Prostaffs and the Monarch 7 8x30 directly and would agree that the latter were distinctly better. I couldn't swear that my conclusions regarding the Kites/Vanguard/Monarchs would have been the same if I'd had them all lined up together, but in the end these were the conclusions I came to. If money were no object I'd have got the Kites, if the Endeavours had been available there and then I may well have opted for them, but the 3-4 weeks wait (and having them posted to me) ruled them out. The Monarchs were clearly better than the Prostaffs and, although I noticed some glare, I calculated I could live with it so I came home with the Monarch 7 8x30s

Last edited:
Perhaps the wrong forum, but Viking had a brand new 50mm ED scope on thier stand, absolutely tiny. Nice sharp image too, but the FoV was a bit narrow for my bespectacled eyes I did look through the SLC 8x56's as well. Wow. Best bin I have ever had the pleasure of looking through, anybody fancy lending me £1500..?

David, this was almost my exact experience. I had read about the issue on BF before I purchased the M7 10x30 but when I received mine, the unit looked "fine" on the inside but I also noticed that sheen.

My original experience was just looking up toward a very tall pine tree in the backyard against a partly-sunny sky. It wasn't even that bright. When I panned upward, my view was flooded with light as if someone was shining a flashlight into the objective.

The thing that really bothered me was how easy it was to replicate with *any* light source.

Then, when I compared it to my Monarch ATB 12x42, the issue was amplified that much more.
Can you please clarify your last paragraph above? Do you mean that the flooding was worse with the ATBs, or that the ATBs were so much better that they made the M7s seem worse than ever?

o:)
Brock,

I don't know if or when Kite will actually be in the US but Eagle Optics is listed as a dealer though they don't appear to have any models for sale currently. The Ibis ED range is their latest Kamakura product with ED glass, all their latest coatings and relatively low field curvature. I've previously suggested I'd want the 8x42 to be sharper for the money but I had no quibbles with the 7x42 I tried. Very bright and sharp pretty much edge to edge. However it's a 122m/1000m view so only a 51* AFOV; the same as my Opticron 7x36 but about 4oz heavier. It is expensive at £839 in the UK though.

I can't remember now how many fingers I tucked between the barrels but I'm sure it wasn't all, but probably better than the Minox x44s though. Mind you there would be more room with wider IPDs than mine. I don't believe BL HD is as sophisticated in it's optical design and coatings as the Ibis, but it is less than half the price, looks good and performance pretty respectable for the price, The wider bridge components might be down to the polycarbonate construction. I thought the 8x33 was the pick of the range.

Hope that helps,

David

It does, the 51* AFOV eliminated the Ibis from my Wish List. Too fenced in for a birding bin. That's often the problem with 7x bins. What might be passable in terms of TFOV with an 8x, becomes "tight" with a 7x when you figure in the AFOV.

Someone had questioned whether or not the BL HD line was MIG, according to Minox, it is:

Minox 8x32 BL HD MIG

I'd be lucky to get two fingers in between those barrels and maybe one on the other hand. You're probably right about the bridges needing to be thicker due to the polycarbonate construction.

This view gives you a better idea of what "chunky monkeys" those bridges are:

minox-bl-8x33-binoculars-review/

One of the things I never liked about Minox binoculars was the asymetrical eyecups, with the one on the right diopter being half as long as on the other side.

Having deep-set eyes, long eyecups do not suit my face, because I can't get them into my eye orbits. Case in point, the SE's eyecups vs. the EII's. Both have the same diameter, and you can switch them, but the longer SE eyecups is uncomfortable because in order to see the entire FOV I have to "squoose" my nose (remember that one from Ronnie?) between them, particularly at closer distances where the IPD needs to be smaller to keep a circle.

But on the new HD version, the BLs have shorter eyecups on both sides (see photos below). The symmetry also looks more aesthetically pleasing as does the polished aluminum accents.

Still, in a midsized roof, I'd prefer the "open hinge" design like the 8x30 M7 - more open space for my fingers.

Here they are.....

Attachments

• Minox 8x33 BL HD.jpg
    Minox 8x33 BL HD.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Minox 8x33 BL BR.jpg
    Minox 8x33 BL BR.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 55

Someone had questioned whether or not the BL HD line was MIG, according to Minox, it is:

Minox 8x32 BL HD MIG

Sorry, I'm to blame for that. I didn't see the MIG label. It 'felt' like a Japanese made model to me and I thought this line in the blurb left sufficient ambiguity to allow the possibility.
"....and subjected to rigorous quality control inspections before leaving the main factory in Wetzlar, Germany." Guess I was wrong.

Still, in a midsized roof, I'd prefer the "open hinge" design like the 8x30 M7 - more open space for my fingers.

How on earth do you use the little M7 with your fingers between the barrels? Perhaps my it would work with my wife's size 6 hands, but no chance with my 9s. :-O

David

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back