• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some thoughts on petersi in Zimmerius petersi (von Berlepsch, 1907) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Here is the OD of Zimmerius petersi (von Berlepsch, 1907).

The key tells us:

Ernst Peters (fl. 1890) German student, collector in Venezuela 1890 (Zimmerius).

IN OD is written

The single specimen of this species, collected near Carácas by Mr. Carl Peters, and which I have named after him, is evidently quite distinct from other species of Tyrannicus which are known to us.

As the speciemen was collected 12th February 1890 Antímano at least fl. 1890 is not in question.

I am wondering now if Carl Peters is really the Ernst Peters of Die Vögel der Insel Curaçao nach einer von Herrn cand. theol. Ernst Peters daselbst angelegten Sammlung bearbeitet

Carl may derived from Th. C. (Candidatus theologiæ) here. But Berlepsch wrote here:

Nachdem somit die Hoffnung, durch eingeborene Sammler von den Inseln Etwas zu erhalten, fast aussichtslos erschien, begrüsse ich es mit Freuden, als Herr cand. theol. Carl Peters aus Hamburg, welchen ich als Tüchtigen Sammler und enthusiastischen Ornithologen kennen gelernt hatte, mir die Mittheilung machte, dass er im Begriff stehe, eine Hauslehrerstelle in San Esteban bei Pto. Caballo anzunehmen und vorschlug, gegen Erstattung einer vollständigen Ausrüstung etc., für mich in Venezuela Vogelbälge zu sammeln und eventuell auch die holländischen Inseln (auf die ich ihn aufmerksam gemacht hatte) exploriren zu wollen.

So I have no clue if Carl and/or Ernst are one and the same persons.

P.S. He even might have died 1890 if I read here

...woran wohl haupstächlich sein schlechter Gesundheitszustand die Schuld trägt.

Sounds like serious health problems.

Take it for what's worth.

Last edited:
Carl may derived from Th. C. (Candidatus theologiæ) here.
There, 'Carl' is obviously a slip for Ernst, which is used everywhere else in the paper.
If there was no Carl distinct from Ernst, then Berlepsch must be assumed to have 'accidentally' replaced 'Ernst' with 'Carl' once in 1892, then again in the OD in 1905... This doesn't sound very plausible.

Last edited:
Wilhelm Karl Hartwig Peters (1815-1883), worked also in the Berlin museum with Lichtenstein. See also J. Orn 2 (1854): 11, 1863: 12, 1864: 16, 1868:29. See also Gebhardt part 2: 98-99. He collected at least at Mozambique (1843-47, but not aware of a South American trip. Do not known of Karl was his name in use or Wilhelm as stated in wikipedia. Sure he is not the man, but at least he is discussed.

Last edited:
According here he was on board of the steamer "Teutonia" in March 1889 near Guadeloupe.

According Ancstry (behind a paywall) there exists here under All Hamburg, Germany, Births, 1874-1901 results for Ernest Peters a person called Ernst Carl Peters. If he is our guy I have no clue. But he would be very young in 1889 if the birth date is 1874 but possible.

Last edited:
But he would be very young in 1889 if the birth date is 1874 but possible.
He (i.e., Ernst) went to Venezuela to work as a private tutor ("eine Hauslehrerstelle in San Esteban bei Pto. Cabello anzunehmen", [here]) -- not really compatible with him being a 15 yr-old boy at that time, I would think.

He (i.e., Ernst) went to Venezuela to work as a private tutor ("eine Hauslehrerstelle in San Esteban bei Pto. Cabello anzunehmen", [here]) -- not really compatible with him being a 15 yr-old boy at that time, I would think.

That's what I though as well. Peters is mentioned here again. But no real news.

"Peters's Tyrannulet"

Just a quick, tiny note regarding the mysterious Carl and/alt./versus/or Ernst Peters ...

In Resumen de las colecciones ornitológicas hechas en Venezuela, 1944 (Google Snippet view, here) he is called "Ernest Peters" ... ?

Note that "Antímano near Carácas" is/was the Type location of von Berlepsch "Tyrannicus petersi" (1907), i.e. today's Venezuelan/Paltry Tyrannulet Zimmerius petersi, a k a "Peters's Tyrannulet" (by Hellmayr, in 1927, here and/alt. here, in 2018) or Tyranneau de Peters (in French).

For whatever it is worth (I´d never heard of the guy, prior to this thread).

;)

Björn

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back