• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset, UK Duck (2 Viewers)

Good thought. TBH 'photographic artefact' is an oft repeated myth.
No it's not.

But back to OP and the bird in question - (as others have said) location where other birders have snapped photos of a CS, bill colour (I've taken it into Lightroom and the colour doesn't vary) and its overall shape (though pixelated and poor) would seem to indicate CS.

But pop back down today (if possible) and take a good pair of bincoluars with you this time as that should clear it up once and for all (for yourself).

Good thought. TBH 'photographic artefact' is an oft repeated myth. It was ID'd very close too yesterday by a well respected local birder. Here is a close picture by another local birder Brian Thompson on Twitter
Undoubtedly a drake Common Scoter in these better shots. The yellow was exaggerated in the previous shot, due to the focus I guess. (It’s what I would call photographic artefact😽)

Hello,
while I agree with BH, that both birds looks like the same bird. And I still get the feeling, that the first pictures look better for a Common Scoter than for an other blackish water-bird (Coot, Tufted Duck, Scaup, Velvet Scoter, dark plumaged Eider ...) (yes, with more confidence after others voted for this, too):
is it proven that the pictures shows the same bird? As you know, I like to learn more about what can be squeezed out of bad pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back