• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song convergence: Redstart and Pied Flychatcher and Moustached and Reed Warblers? (1 Viewer)

jurek

I am probably not the first person to ask, and it may have been researched 10s of years ago. But I currently cannot access ornithological literature.

I am sure many birders noticed that songs of Common Redstart and Pied Flycatcher sound similar, especially now in spring. The same is true for Moustached and Eurasian Reed Warbler. I learned with interest, that the latter two, although both Acrocephalus, are not very closely related and separated by species with more dissimilar songs.

Is it possible, that these two pairs of species evolved similar songs to react to each other? The Redstart and the Flycatcher are both hole nesters living in open forest and picking insects in flight, so possible competitors. The two warblers both live in almost exactly the same reedbeds. Any ideas?

An interesting question, tho it's never occurred to me that Redstart and Pied Fly have similar-ish songs. Moustached Warbler is a bird I'd love to get to know better! 🐦

Users who are viewing this thread

Back