• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song Sparrow - SW Arizona, USA, April (1 Viewer)

lockbreeze926

Scotland
Song Sparrow, right?

The reason I ask is that I came across this old photo from April 2019, taken in Cochise Co, AZ. The bird was quite distant and looked to me like a Song Sparrow, of whatever local subspecies. I've seen many and, yes, they are variable, but still...

The woman (an American) next to me, also observing, said "I think that's a female Red-winged Blackbird".

"Uh, I think it's a Song Sparrow, actually. It's not really anything like a Bla- "

"Yup", she goes - using quite stereotypical language, I admit - "that's definitely a female Red-winged Blackbird". And off she went.

But - Song Sparrow, right?

Attachments

• Song Sparrow 1-DeNoiseAI-denoise.JPG
    Song Sparrow 1-DeNoiseAI-denoise.JPG
    10.2 MB · Views: 41
Ah, yes - should have made clear, it is obviously nothing like a RWB of any stripe; I just quoted the conversation as an example of the certitude of ignorance.

When I found the picture, though, I thought...is it actually what I believed it to be?
Yes, Song Sparrow for sure. Blackbirds have a different shape, and quite different coloring

Yes, it is what you believed it to be: a Song Sparrow, and not any other kind of sparrow, blackbird, or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back