• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song Thrush ? Kiruna, N. Sweden, today. (1 Viewer)

Hello Surfan,

yes I agree with you and Graham, its a Song Thrush.

Most similar 1cy Mistle Thrush should show:
  • obvious white in the tail
  • paler, less rusty fringes to greater coverts an a different, paneled (says google translate) pattern there
I learned much about variation in pattern of underparts here, so I skip it. Thanks once more. You know, I am eager to learn about birdID, especially when I thought I have seen enough to be confident about variation.

More: the other threads here and a picture search made me realize, that juvenile Song Thrush (regulary?) has a vertical striped head pattern, normally considered a feature of Mistle Thrush. Right or wrong??? I hope for more comments about this. Please see this 1cy Song Thrush:

all: Singdrosseln SW ( 20.07.2019, Schwetzinger Wiesen, SW-Germany)

Hello Surfan,

yes I agree with you and Graham, its a Song Thrush.

Most similar 1cy Mistle Thrush should show:
  • obvious white in the tail
  • paler, less rusty fringes to greater coverts an a different, paneled (says google translate) pattern there
I learned much about variation in pattern of underparts here, so I skip it. Thanks once more. You know, I am eager to learn about birdID, especially when I thought I have seen enough to be confident about variation.

More: the other threads here and a picture search made me realize, that juvenile Song Thrush (regulary?) has a vertical striped head pattern, normally considered a feature of Mistle Thrush. Right or wrong??? I hope for more comments about this. Please see this 1cy Song Thrush:

all: Singdrosseln SW ( 20.07.2019, Schwetzinger Wiesen, SW-Germany)
Thank you very much ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back