• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Songbird Survival (1 Viewer)

CornishExile

rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn!
Seeing as we seem to be addressing a few mildly controversial topics at the moment (windfarms, GM food, gamekeeping) it seems we might as well go for the really controversial one as well - Songbird Survival. I've been doing a little research, and they seem to still be an active group.

For those who don't know who they are, and what they do, the following is a fair short precis - they're a registered charity who purport to be concerned about the decline of passerine species in the UK. Whilst they identify several factors that have contributed to this indisputable fact (habitat loss, pesticides, domestic cats etc), the main thrust of their arguments are firmly anti-raptor. Their activities are largely publicity-based - they or their supporters write to local papers, national magazines etc raising the profile of their organisation and firmly pinning the blame for declining songbird numbers on raptors and their particular bete noire, sparrowhawks.

Read all about it on their website, http://www.songbird-survival.org.uk/index.htm

They are clearly and worryingly getting their message across. Search the internet and you'll find many summaries of them on the search / info engines, such as the following:

Google : Songbird Survival Action Group - http://www.songbird-survival.org.uk/
A site dedicated to making the UK public aware of the decline in songbird populations.

or

UKDirectory : 12. SongBird Survival
Due to the reduction in population of small birds this group of ornithologists campaign for the protection of songbirds in the UK.

The impact of this goes from the (clearly not) sublime to the ridiculous... the pro-cat lobby as epitomised by the website http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/html/cat_predation.html seize on a 'paper' published by Songbird Survival, which serves to demonstrate what a clearly defined agenda this charity has:

"“Cats – Love them or Hate them!” ©2003 Songbird Survival (UK) “Cats are frequently singled out as the primary reason for the disappearance of Britain's songbirds. But is this label really justified? SongBird Survival thinks not!… If we compare the predation rates of cats and sparrowhawks on birds alone, this highlights some very interesting facts. For example, Britain's population of 10 million cats is said by the CPL to be responsible for killing 55 million songbirds each year - an average of 5.5 per cat. Yet by comparison, and calculating from the predation rate quoted by Dr Ian Newton in his book The Sparrowhawk, the UK's estimated population of 100,000 sparrowhawks will slaughter in excess of 100 million songbirds during the same period - an average of 1,000 'kills' per sparrowhawk. This strongly indicates that sparrowhawks are responsible for killing almost DOUBLE the total number of songbirds predated by cats. And on a 'one-to-one' basis, each sparrowhawk kills the same number of songbirds as the total taken by 180 cats!” If you have trouble with the above link, please copy and paste this web address directly into your browser: http://www.songbird-survival.org.uk/cats.htm 10/31

When presented to the caring but environmentally naive, this sort of argument must have a certain compelling logic about it. I wonder how much momentum they are generating?

I seem to recall a short correspondence in one of the UK birding magazines a few years ago between a Songbird Survival representative and a more grounded-in-reality reader - I forget the exact details of their exchange, but ethics aside I'm sure there was a reference to an agenda behind this anti-raptor body - the implication being that the p-word lobby were driving this. I wouldn't on the basis of what I know say this actually was the case - however, Peter Bryant of the Royal P Racing Association attended a trustees meeting of Songbird Survival in 2001, and said,

"...an article that appeared in the Birdwatching magazine that alleged that this group was nothing more than a cover for disgruntled p fanciers and it had a hidden agenda. Well, (and I hope the author of that article is reading!) there are 2 p fanciers who are also bird lovers on the board, plus me. In addition there are several ornithologists, a farmer, a farmer’s daughter and a wildlife issue campaigner who are all cheesed off with the line taken by other agencies over the decline of our songbirds. Yes, the raptor issue will have a direct influence on p racers but it also had a direct and catastrophic effect on grouse moors, gardens and the countryside." http://www.rpra.org/view_from_the_reddings/vftr_2001/vtfr_2001_02_x1.html

Given the relatively small numbers of p keepers in the UK, 3 board members from their ranks seems a little disproportionate. However, in fairness this may not be the case now in 2004. I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

At this juncture some sort of disclaimer seems appropriate. This is not a thread intended to stir up the debate-we-shall-not-have about p's. The above serves simply to illustrate the story behind Songbird Survival to date. This thread is intended to explore the ethics / justification / science behind the raptor control argument espoused by Songbird Survival, and indeed see what we think of that organisation itself, and it's potentially deletorious effects. As such the thread is a continuation of one touched on in the gamekeeper thread currently running alongside here.

C

Last edited:
CornishExile said:
Seeing as we seem to be addressing a few mildly controversial topics at the moment (windfarms, GM food, gamekeeping) it seems we might as well go for the really controversial one as well - Songbird Survival. I've been doing a little research, and they seem to still be an active group.

For those who don't know who they are, and what they do, the following is a fair short precis - they're a registered charity who purport to be concerned about the decline of passerine species in the UK. Whilst they identify several factors that have contributed to this indisputable fact (habitat loss, pesticides, domestic cats etc), the main thrust of their arguments are firmly anti-raptor. Their activities are largely publicity-based - they or their supporters write to local papers, national magazines etc raising the profile of their organisation and firmly pinning the blame for declining songbird numbers on raptors and their particular bete noire, sparrowhawks.

Read all about it on their website, http://www.songbird-survival.org.uk/index.htm

They are clearly and worryingly getting their message across. Search the internet and you'll find many summaries of them on the search / info engines, such as the following:

Google : Songbird Survival Action Group - http://www.songbird-survival.org.uk/
A site dedicated to making the UK public aware of the decline in songbird populations.

or

UKDirectory : 12. SongBird Survival
Due to the reduction in population of small birds this group of ornithologists campaign for the protection of songbirds in the UK.

The impact of this goes from the (clearly not) sublime to the ridiculous... the pro-cat lobby as epitomised by the website http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/html/cat_predation.html seize on a 'paper' published by Songbird Survival, which serves to demonstrate what a clearly defined agenda this charity has:

"“Cats – Love them or Hate them!” ©2003 Songbird Survival (UK) “Cats are frequently singled out as the primary reason for the disappearance of Britain's songbirds. But is this label really justified? SongBird Survival thinks not!… If we compare the predation rates of cats and sparrowhawks on birds alone, this highlights some very interesting facts. For example, Britain's population of 10 million cats is said by the CPL to be responsible for killing 55 million songbirds each year - an average of 5.5 per cat. Yet by comparison, and calculating from the predation rate quoted by Dr Ian Newton in his book The Sparrowhawk, the UK's estimated population of 100,000 sparrowhawks will slaughter in excess of 100 million songbirds during the same period - an average of 1,000 'kills' per sparrowhawk. This strongly indicates that sparrowhawks are responsible for killing almost DOUBLE the total number of songbirds predated by cats. And on a 'one-to-one' basis, each sparrowhawk kills the same number of songbirds as the total taken by 180 cats!” If you have trouble with the above link, please copy and paste this web address directly into your browser: http://www.songbird-survival.org.uk/cats.htm 10/31

When presented to the caring but environmentally naive, this sort of argument must have a certain compelling logic about it. I wonder how much momentum they are generating?

I seem to recall a short correspondence in one of the UK birding magazines a few years ago between a Songbird Survival representative and a more grounded-in-reality reader - I forget the exact details of their exchange, but ethics aside I'm sure there was a reference to an agenda behind this anti-raptor - the implication being that the p-word lobby were driving this. I wouldn't on the basis of what I know say this actually was the case - however, Peter Bryant of the Royal P Racing Association attended a trustees meeting of Songbird Survival in 2001, and said,

"...an article that appeared in the Birdwatching magazine that alleged that this group was nothing more than a cover for disgruntled p fanciers and it had a hidden agenda. Well, (and I hope the author of that article is reading!) there are 2 p fanciers who are also bird lovers on the board, plus me. In addition there are several ornithologists, a farmer, a farmer’s daughter and a wildlife issue campaigner who are all cheesed off with the line taken by other agencies over the decline of our songbirds. Yes, the raptor issue will have a direct influence on p racers but it also had a direct and catastrophic effect on grouse moors, gardens and the countryside." http://www.rpra.org/view_from_the_reddings/vftr_2001/vtfr_2001_02_x1.html

Given the relatively small numbers of p keepers in the UK, 3 board members from their ranks seems a little disproportionate. However, in fairness this may not be the case now in 2004. I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

At this juncture some sort of disclaimer seems appropriate. This is not a thread intended to stir up the debate-we-shall-not-have about p's. The above serves simply to illustrate the story behind Songbird Survival to date. This thread is intended to explore the ethics / justification / science behind the raptor control argument espoused by Songbird Survival, and indeed see what we think of that organisation itself, and it's potentially deletorious effects. As such the thread is a continuation of one touched on in the gamekeeper thread currently running alongside here.

C

Their website is almost totally dominated by an anti-sparrowhawk tirade, with attacks on some studies but no scientific studies to back up their arguement - I wonder why :)

I'm amazed that they managed to get and hold registered charity status.

Richard

I've got a pigeon fancier in my neighbourhood

Any ideas on how to disuade his manky creatures from sitting on my roof and leaving a mess all over it, trashing my bird table and eating the grass seed when I try to patch my lawn?.

DJ Sideboard said:

Any ideas on how to disuade his manky creatures from sitting on my roof and leaving a mess all over it, trashing my bird table and eating the grass seed when I try to patch my lawn?.
Adopt a Sparrowhawk? ;)

Andrew Rowlands said:
This has been flogged before; see:- http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=11555

Andy.

Sorry Andy, didn't mean to repetitively open Pandora's box... I couldn't find this thread before starting this one.

Anyway, before I go off to wade through the last debate, have had a look at the Charities Commission website, and found the following about Songbird Survival - nothing very illuminating (apart from their meagre finances), except the studied omission of any mention of raptor control.

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/showcharity.asp?remchar=&chyno=1085281

Having read the stuff on the website its appalling. Yes other predators are addressed but then most of the diatribe is aimed straight at the Sparrowhawk. From this they then call for a stop to reintroduction of all birds of prey due to effect on songbird numbers. Also the argument doesnt hold up because Sparrowhawk numbers are in a slight decline and the majority of raptors in this country are Buzzards (which dont catch songbirds) and Kestrels (which dont catch songbirds). I notice too that they mention we need to manage the countryside because effectively it is artificial. Thats good but managing an ecosystem as well leaves it vulnerable and often unbalanced as the niche of top predator is unfilled letting weak genes propergate thus allowing a species future be undermined due to decreased durability of a species and phenotypes like slow, heavy birds infiltrate a population. Added to this climax ecosystems have the most species present. Not necessarily in the numbers that bird table watchers will be happy with but an overly successful predator runs out of food before the prey species is exterminated. Its natures get out clause. Rant over :D

DJ Sideboard said:

Why not go and speak to him or send me his address and I will do the job for you .

Hotspur said:
Having read the stuff on the website its appalling. Yes other predators are addressed but then most of the diatribe is aimed straight at the Sparrowhawk. From this they then call for a stop to reintroduction of all birds of prey due to effect on songbird numbers. Also the argument doesnt hold up because Sparrowhawk numbers are in a slight decline and the majority of raptors in this country are Buzzards (which dont catch songbirds) and Kestrels (which dont catch songbirds). I notice too that they mention we need to manage the countryside because effectively it is artificial. Thats good but managing an ecosystem as well leaves it vulnerable and often unbalanced as the niche of top predator is unfilled letting weak genes propergate thus allowing a species future be undermined due to decreased durability of a species and phenotypes like slow, heavy birds infiltrate a population. Added to this climax ecosystems have the most species present. Not necessarily in the numbers that bird table watchers will be happy with but an overly successful predator runs out of food before the prey species is exterminated. Its natures get out clause. Rant over :D
A couple of corrections for you - According to the BTO sparrowhawks outnumber even its highest estimates of common buzzard numbers.
Both buzzards and kestrels have been recorded as preying on songbirds (BWP)

I realise that yes there are a lot of sparrowhawks out there but as recently as 6 weeks ago the buzzard was feted as the new no1 as it were in numbers for british raptors. Buzzard numbers are growing along with several raptors that are less populous (eg red kite) thus looking like we are having a raptor explosion. Sparrowhawk numbers are stable is at about 40,000 pairs i believe. Also i am aware that both Kestrel and Buzzard have predated upon songbirds but they only do so when they come across an opportunity rather than having a specific strategy with which to catch songbirds. Extrapolating from this would be that further decline would relate to something other than predation as there would be massive flux in Sparrowhawk numbers and there would likely be a long term boom and bust relationship for the predator and prey such as exists for rabbits and their predators.

Hotspur said:
... and the majority of raptors in this country are Buzzards (which dont catch songbirds) and Kestrels (which dont catch songbirds).:D

The following is taken from the 2002 'RSPB Handbook of British Birds' which states -

(Quote)

Buzzard - Food... birds such as young pigeons and crows...

Kestrel - Food... Larks, pipits and Starlings are commonly caught and larger birds such as Blackbirds and Collared Doves are also hunted

Are you suggesting that the RSPB book is wrong?

Note - Post #10 read after posting this.

Last edited:
Anthony Morton said:
The following is taken from the 2002 'RSPB Handbook of British Birds' which states -

(Quote)

Kestrel - Food... Larks, pipits and Starlings are commonly caught and larger birds such as Blackbirds and Collared Doves are also hunted

Hi Anthony,

Both views are essentially correct but depends on the habitat hence why the RSPB book gives the information as it does. We had a kestrel here at The Lodge that triend the sparrowhawk technique by watching the latter but it was neither fast nor agile enough to be successful. However, kestrels do take some ground feeding birds if they can take them by surpise (read: also for buzzard). In moorland areas, both species have no choice but to catch some birds because of the general lack of mammalian prey but mammals (baby rabbits, rats, mice and voles) are easier to catch for the most part. I am not sure how often collared doves appear on the menu for kestrels but they are a rather unwary ground feeding species so it does not surprise me. Hotspur is mostly right though that both species are largely predators of mammals, typically in lowland or urban habitats (kestrel).

Ian

Realised that i should have qualified it in my first post more appropriately Antony, not trying to say that Kestrels and Buzzards dont catch any small birds just very few generally.

CornishExile said:
I seem to recall a short correspondence in one of the UK birding magazines a few years ago between a Songbird Survival representative and a more grounded-in-reality reader - I forget the exact details of their exchange, but ethics aside I'm sure there was a reference to an agenda behind this anti-raptor body - the implication being that the p-word lobby were driving this. I wouldn't on the basis of what I know say this actually was the case - however, Peter Bryant of the Royal P Racing Association attended a trustees meeting of Songbird Survival in 2001, and said,

"...an article that appeared in the Birdwatching magazine that alleged that this group was nothing more than a cover for disgruntled p fanciers and it had a hidden agenda. Well, (and I hope the author of that article is reading!) there are 2 p fanciers who are also bird lovers on the board, plus me. In addition there are several ornithologists, a farmer, a farmer’s daughter and a wildlife issue campaigner who are all cheesed off with the line taken by other agencies over the decline of our songbirds. Yes, the raptor issue will have a direct influence on p racers but it also had a direct and catastrophic effect on grouse moors, gardens and the countryside."
C

Wow, I've never seen that reply before, but I think the grounded-in-reality reader was me. I was in direct contact with SBS when they were starting, had a long conversation with one of their founding 5. I think he was the farmer or some sort of smallholder with chickens. Another 2 of the 5 (I didn't know it was 3) were pigeon fanciers, and quite 'high up' ones at that, e.g. I forget the details now but one was chair or president or treasurer or something of a pigeon soc. in Scotland. I wrote to Birdwatch about this, and there was a bit of banter with the SBS pigeon lobby, a 'Snowy' Jeffs. But the Birdwatch thing was just a sideshow, had the most fun with the Scottish Parliament.

Anthony Morton said:

(Quote)

BWPi:

Buzzard: "Wide diversity of prey: principally small mammals but also birds, reptiles, amphibians, larger insects, and earthworms"

Kestrel: "Chiefly small mammals, especially voles, with birds usually secondary"

Hotspur said:
Realised that i should have qualified it in my first post more appropriately Antony, not trying to say that Kestrels and Buzzards dont catch any small birds just very few generally.

Hi Hotspur,

Thanks for this and also to Ian Peters and Alastair Rae for their explanatory postings.

Regards,

Anthony

Anthony Morton said:
Hi walwyn,

What do they taste like? Anyway, I reckon that I could eat one if you can!
Quite sweet you have to let them simmer for a few weeks before they rise to the top though.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back