• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sound ID : sharp call - Alicante Spain (1 Viewer)

lunitis

Hi.
I heard this a couple days ago. In a field of old olive trees with low and dry scrubs.
You can skip to sec 2 / 6 / 12 and 39 to hear it.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2024-04-05 1939.wav
    12.3 MB
Funny enough I was listening to black birds sounds on ebird now, woundering if the record i made on other post was a black bird..

And i found that blackbirds can do a sound VERY similair sound to the one i posted here. So maybe i found the answer.
Perhaps a bird that just came out from the nest?
There is even an adult calling at the same time..

Hello,

with the usual caveats:

two different species came into my mind:

yes it can be a Blackbird, but:

First impression was its a Rock Bunting. But does the habitat fit? (and its not sharp and loud enough for similar Cirl Bunting calls)

Second possibilty that came into my mind your call reminded me of some Common Treecreeper calls. They fit better than similar Tit falls or even the fainter, drawn out falls of Thrushes imo (but please note the caveats).
But this species shouldnt occur there, can you give exact location please (no offebce you know, normally Alicante, spain is precise enough).

Some ST Treecreeper can rarely give similar calls, and the sparse, randomly uttered calls are typical for Treecreepers. Tits (and other species) normally have shorter intervalls between the calls.

Conclusion? These are different calls, another example for me how difficult recordings can be. Tfs and I hope for more comments. Thanks!

Quote Reply

Its in south Alicante province, not far from the coast, flat area.

That spot is "my patch", with 166 lists I have never seen Rock, Cirl Bunting or Treecreeper there or in nearby areas. Great tit a few times.
Thanks for the "brainstorm", it shows how hard it is to identify some sounds, specially when we dont know what can show in the area.

Anyway, if its a blackbird would it be an adult or a chick? They are common here, i even have a nest 50m from my front door and i dont recall hearing that sound coming from them. Maybe a special sound they make on breeding season?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back