• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Souslik Budapest airport (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

I understand the Souslik colony at Budapest airport has been relocated. Does anyone know where they are now; if they're still easy to see or if there is somewhere nearby which would be a better bet?

Thanks in advance

Steve

I am considering looking for them in Austria but as I'll be at the airport anyway it seemed the easier option.
Can offer any guidance re Budapest, but in Austria they are very easy at Zicksee nr Neusiedler See. The colony at Sankt Andra am Zicksee is habituated to humans an can be seen easily from the public paths & roads around the perimeter.

Apologies for reminiscing, but they used to be in the Aeropark at Budapest Airport. It was great to clamber around those old Soviet era aircraft, and also watch the Sousliks underneath the planes. Great for children to see them.

Presumably the critters that have been moved?

No mention of the Sousliks when you Google the Aeropark now, and it looks like the site has been 'improved'. We went there a few times, turns out it was fifteen years ago. Sorry Steve.

Saw them last year at Gerasdorf swimming lake near Vienna (on the hamster trip).

The ground squirrels are still at the airport but they have been moved to allow for redevelopment. I'm sure a quick email to [email protected] and they would tell you if they easily seen.

Did you see the hamsters?
Yes. Will write a post soon but basically the best area seems to be meadows between entrances 2 and 3. Very obvious meadows. Rather than just short grass. Several showing well around 415 - 5 despite the heat. We also saw two on the short grass just as you come in from gate two but they disappeared fairly quickly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back