• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South africa - Kruger - March - Falcon (1 Viewer)

2 views of the same individual. Size of a hobby or Amur falcon.

Attachments

• 2022-03-12-JMR63043.jpg
    2022-03-12-JMR63043.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 2022-03-12-JMR63033.jpg
    2022-03-12-JMR63033.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 11
My guess says Red-footed falcon over Amur but not hobby.
Niels
Underwing is white which indicates Amur (Amur is also more common in South Africa afaik). I believe this is the key id feature (would be buffy in red-footed).

This is definitely not a hobby of either species: they would look quite different without the reddish eye ring and cere

Underwing is white which indicates Amur (Amur is also more common in South Africa afaik). I believe this is the key id feature (would be buffy in red-footed).

This is definitely not a hobby of either species: they would look quite different without the reddish eye ring and cere
Strange, because I see it as buffy and that was my reason for going with Red-foot.
Niels

Strange, because I see it as buffy and that was my reason for going with Red-foot.
Niels
Compared with red-footed's "buffy" this is stark white. Any slight hint you're seeing is the ambient light. Red-footed's underwing is very different

Amur falcon for me

Edit: did you mean to post this to the id forum?
I misunderstood how birdforum is working. It was what i meant to do, indeed. Also I thought till today there was no reaction to my post while you answered it on the first day. Thanks a lot for your reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back