• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern California Vireo May 2021 (1 Viewer)

BAL Land

United States
Hi all,
I’ve posted this Vireo to multiple sites/people, and the majority said they think it’s a weird Warbling Vireo. I’m still not convinced, though. I believe it might be a Red-eyed Vireo, and understand that from my photos it’s probably better off not calling it one. I thought I might as well post it anyway. May 2021, Orange County, California. My only two photos. Reasons I think it’s a Red-eyed is the seemingly very strong eye-line, but I’m probably wrong. Opinions appreciated.
1666658015697.jpeg

1666658085533.jpeg

Minor point, but the eyes aren't red. Should be some indication for red-eyed I think

Last edited:
Another point of note is that this individual shows a long tail which is a subordinating field mark for warbling. Red eyed typically has a shorter tail. I’m not sure that it is reliable as a primary field mark, but it could be depending on the specifics. For example, a tail this long might be diagnostic, whereas a short tail does not necessarily prove an identification of red eyed. I am unsure of the spectrum and at what point reliability of this field mark increases/ decreases.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back