• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Cyprus - Cape Greco -Annual Spring pilgrimage (1 Viewer)

Now don't get me wrong, loving it here but had a visit from the bizzies again today at salt lake at limassol, do they know I'm a vale supporter or is it just my pretty boy face!!! Anyway at the ayios georgios chapel was a whimbrel 4 more rollers between here and bishops pool, where there were 4 fudge ducks, usual waders on ladies mile, and at Kensington there were Eleonoras, peregrine, alpine swifts, shags and Griffin vultures.
Steve

The bizzies (well the army at least) are usually very active around there especially by the masts on the Akrotiri Plains.

Nowt with you being a Vale fan mate - well I'm a Wolves fan and we are equally **** and they left me alone :)-.

Hi Nick,
What do you mean equally ...., were going up Saturday!!!!!!
At the chicken farm, can't remember the name, 12 red f falcons, 1 g s cuckoo, 5 L. Kestrels. At Mandria, lark corner, tawny pipit and wheatear, and a femail garganey at agia varvara.
Steve.

Hi Nick,
What do you mean equally ...., were going up Saturday!!!!!!
At the chicken farm, can't remember the name, 12 red f falcons, 1 g s cuckoo, 5 L. Kestrels. At Mandria, lark corner, tawny pipit and wheatear, and a femail garganey at agia varvara.
Steve.

Too true, see you pass us on our way down! :-C

12 red-foots! Very nice. All you need to get now is stunning views of a male pallid harrier and you will totally crack up !

Hi guys,
Just a quick report for the last 2days,
Still more rollers coming through, also w.w.b.tern, whiskered tern, golden oriole,
Bonellis eagle.
TOLD YOU WERE GOING UP MICK & NICK.
STEVE

Hi guys,
Just a quick report for the last 2days,
Still more rollers coming through, also w.w.b.tern, whiskered tern, golden oriole,
Bonellis eagle.
TOLD YOU WERE GOING UP MICK & NICK.
STEVE

Yes pleased for you - you must be on cloud 9 Steve.

Great birds too - if you get a male Pallid Harrier I will physically start to be sick.
I purposelly go a little earlier in the month to see them, knowing that main migration has yet to commence.

I usually get the eagles by the Aspro Dam area.:t:

Hi, guys,
Bonus bird yesterday, corncrake at pathos lighthouse, thanks to the 2 guys who saw it first and told me where to look, after 40 mins it showed briefly.also l l buzzard more rollers, golden Orioles and g s cuckoo's.
Home tomorrow looking forward to work, NOT!!!!!
Steve.

Hi, guys,
Bonus bird yesterday, corncrake at pathos lighthouse, thanks to the 2 guys who saw it first and told me where to look, after 40 mins it showed briefly.also l l buzzard more rollers, golden Orioles and g s cuckoo's.
Steve.

Hi, guys,
Steve.

You are really ****ing me off now Steve ! :-O:-O

Need Corncrake as a lifer.

Thanks for the report Nick. Good stuff. I was there about 20 years back and had a really good trip. Based at Protaras but spent much of the time at the Cape which was excellent. We had a few days of overcast, misty conditions which must surely have helped.

I'm always struggling to get an impression of migrant densities here. If you've been to Eilat, Israel or Happy Island, China you'll know what it can be like. Have you, or anyone ever experienced really big 'falls' on the Island at, say, Greco for example?

We also spent time removing lime sticks positioned close to Greco. Shame but not unexpected.

Regards.

Frank

Sorry nick,
Lifer for me as well and too quick to get a shot of,just lucky I bumped into the two guys who found it, you will get one there one day just a matter of time, missed loads of stuff including g snipe, sandplover, and the bloody kingfisher.
Off too the airport in a moment well depressed!!!!!
Steve.

Hi Frank - thank you - to be honest I have never witnessed classic fall conditions anywhere except Spurn with thrushes/redwings galore. Been to Cyprus 4 times but never experienced shed loads of birds - always seen good stuff but had to work hard. But I tend to go earlier to see the Pallid Harriers, and thus miss main activity.

Steve - think you must be pretty happy with your lot. Glad you had a good trip mate.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back