• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Florida 14th-19th Nov (1 Viewer)

Neal Warnock

Hi all,

Will be visiting the southern Florida area in November this year. I am flying into Miami airport and picking up a hire car for the duration of my stay. I have booked the first nights accommodation in one of the hotels near the airport and plan to find somewhere to stay each night depending on where I end up. Having not birded in the States at all, I am not really fussed about what species I see, as they will mostly all be 'new' anyway. I have the Sibley guide to the birds of eastern North America and have ordered the Falcon Birding Florida guide (as I cannot find a seller in the UK with a Pantry one in stock). My itinerary at the minute is as follows:

Day 1: Sites along Tamiami trail
Day 2: Sites along Tamiami trail- drive back towards Florida City
Day 3: Everglades to Flamingo
Day 4: Key Biscayne/Northern Keys
Day 5: Need to be at airport by 12:30 in the morning

A few questions:

1. Is it OK to find accommodation in and around these areas (highway motels etc)?
2. Are the distances involved 'do-able'
3. Is it worth considering the Dry Tortugus at this time of year?
4. Are there any must see sites you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for the replies,

Neal.

I also have a pdf of the Great Florida Birding Trail-southern section

Last edited:
Since no one with in-depth local knowledge has yet replied, let me note that this site has lots of good information about birding in southeast Florida (as well as a bird sightings board): http://www.tropicalaudubon.org/locations.html

If you are into photography, I would recommend considering a trip up north to Palm Beach County. Green Cay and Wakodahatchee Wetlands will often let you get extremely close to the most charismatic waterbirds in the area. Even more so than in the Everglades (which is a very large area, so the birds are more spread out, and it is not what it used to be (the restoration project has yet to begin in earnest)). Loxahatchee NWR can also be good.

Best,
Jim

Normally, this time of year you'd have trouble getting a room without a reservation but with the poor economy you may be okay. It's been about 18 years since I drove the Tamiami Trail but it's mostly through the Glades so there won't be a lot of motels but probably lots of chances to see alligator wrestling. There should be plenty of motels at either end. When you land, look for a tourism kiosk in the airport. Also, look for a local bookstore and get Florida's birds : a field guide and reference 2nd ed. Maehr, David S. It's even better than the first edition.

I haven't been to the Dry Tortugas but Nov. should be a good time to go if you have time. I don't know about tours except from Key West which is quite a drive but there may be tours leaving from the northern keys.

I would seriously suggest you invest in the Pantry guide. It should be fairly easy to pick up once you arrive. This has all the info you will need on sites, species etc.

I also recommend you visit Loxahatchee and Wakodahatchee (they are close together). The Everglades are great, but these sites will have more species in a much smaller area if that makes sense. I would perhaps do these instead of the Keys, although I would research both areas before you make up your mind proper.

Have fun.

Last edited:
My thoughts on your itinerary:

There is nothing really on the Tamiami Trail that you cannot see more easily elsewhere. The only stop I really recommend along this trail is Kirby Storter Boardwalk, where you can get good views of Carolina Wren, Tufted Titmouse, some wintering warblers, and Downy and Pileated Woodpeckers. At the end of the Tamiami Trail is Marco Island which contains Tigertail Beach -- I highly recommend this site for shorebirds, herons, egrets, and raptors. The beach at this time of year will likely have Peregrine Falcon, Osprey, Reddish Egret, Wilson's Plover, Piping Plover, Black Skimmers, and many more.

Green Cay and Wakodahatchee Wetlands are fantastic for Limpkin, Purple Gallinule, and Black-bellied Whistling-duck.

If you want to see passerines, I highly recommend doing a morning walk at A.D. Barnes in Miami to see warblers. At this time of year, Palm, Yellow-rumped, Prairie, Black-and-white, and Magnolia Warblers should be around. You may also see Summer Tanager and Baltimore Oriole.

You have hit migration prime time for sparrows, so if that is your fancy, an early morning hunt at Lucky Hammock and the Annex should be productive for Grasshopper and Savannah Sparrows, Painted Bunting, American Kestrel, Northern Harrier, White-tailed Kite, Sandhill Crane, and many more. This location is just outside of Everglades National Park.

The Everglades can be highly productive, but you really know where you have to go to get the most out of your time. The Anhinga Trail is good for common waterbirds, but the really important species to get here is Short-tailed Hawk which is easy to spot soaring amongst all the vultures at around mid-morning. You also have a shot at American Bittern. The Gumbo Limbo trail can be excellent in the morning for passerines. Lots of White-eyed Vireos and Gray Catbirds.

Further down, make sure to visit Paurotis Pond which is the site of a wader rookery, although it may be inactive this time of year. Further along, there is Mrazek Pond which should be productive this time of year for waterfowl (usually at least Blue-winged Teal, Green-winged Teal, American Wigeon). There might be some shorebirds in there. At the end, Flamingo is very good for Barn Owls in the evening, Bald Eagles and Osprey are absolutely abundant during the day. Hit the sandbars off the Flamingo Visitor Center at low tide for terns, waders, and shorebirds. Eco Pond for more waders, plus potential sparrows. The mangroves that line the bay in the campground is good for the cuban race of Yellow Warbler -- keep a sharp ear out for their soft calls.

Let me know if you need any further help or any species you would like to see in particular...

Carlos

p.s. the Falcon Birding guide by Brian Rapoza is excellent and, IMO, much more accurate and up to date than the Pranty guide now.

Hi all,

Thanks Carlos- this has been very helpful. I now propose to base myself in the Homestead/Florida City area and do a series of day trips from there:

Day 1: Loxahatchee, Wakodahatchee and Green Cay
Day 2: A.D Barnes Park, Key Biscayne
Day 3: Everglades Rd to Flamingo
Day 4: Northern Keys
Day 5: Convoy Point then airport

Any comments welcome. Would be particularly interested in any suggestions for accommodation in the Homestead/Florida City area?

Thanks again,

Neal.

Hi all,

Thanks Carlos- this has been very helpful. I now propose to base myself in the Homestead/Florida City area and do a series of day trips from there:

Day 1: Loxahatchee, Wakodahatchee and Green Cay
Day 2: A.D Barnes Park, Key Biscayne
Day 3: Everglades Rd to Flamingo
Day 4: Northern Keys
Day 5: Convoy Point then airport

Any comments welcome. Would be particularly interested in any suggestions for accommodation in the Homestead/Florida City area?

Thanks again,

Neal.

PM sent re homestead.

Don't forget to look for the American Crocs behind the marina store in Flamingo.

Notwithstanding all the photo evidence to the contrary of which there is a lot, having failed to see them on 5 occasions at that marina I am starting to think they don't exist (I did get one just down the canal from the store to be fair but still) :-O

Notwithstanding all the photo evidence to the contrary of which there is a lot, having failed to see them on 5 occasions at that marina I am starting to think they don't exist (I did get one just down the canal from the store to be fair but still) :-O

Did you go to the right Marina Store? At least one is glued to the boat ramp around the back!

Did you go to the right Marina Store? At least one is glued to the boat ramp around the back!

I assume so - I asked a few folks and they all said yeah, they are usually right here but......(I think the first time I visited in the height of summer was too hot, a couple of weeks ago we had a cold front and no sun so perhaps too cold). I did have a group of 8 manatees to within 3 feet at the same marina though so can't complain too much.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back