• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Nevada - quick question (1 Viewer)

Nohatch

Mad scientist
I'll be visiting the Vegas area next month and will have time for a quick 1-2 hour stop at either the Henderson BVP or the Overton WMA (http://www.birdandhike.com/Bird/_Bird_index.htm). Which would you pick for a good selection of (especially wetland) birds? We'll be visiting most of the classical national parks in the area anyway, so I expect to see more 'dryland' species there.
Also, does anyone know if the Overton WMA is open to birding on Memorial Day?

Many thanks!

N

P.S. I'm expecting Marabou Stork at Overton: check out the Maopa Valley Chamber of Commerce website http://www.moapavalleychamber.com/recreation/overton-wildlife-management-area 3:)

Last edited:
According to the site it is open 24/7 but to be sure you should call WMA once you hit town at (702) 397-2142

The ABA Nevada listserve would be a good resource for you to get an idea of what is being seen; it covers all of Nevada but you should be able to find posts with lists of sightings for the areas you are considering:

http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NV

Assuming that you are staying somewhere in the Las Vegas urban area, the Bird Viewing Preserve is much quicker to get to (Overton WMA is a 60 mile trip, one way) and you will find a much more concentrated water bird population than at OWMA that time of year. You can reasonably count on Verdin, Crissal Thrasher and Abert's Towhee from an early morning birding of the HBVP (ca 2 hours) and Roadrunner with a bit of luck, breeding Cinnamon Teal, Ruddy Duck, Eared and Piedbilled Grebe, Coot, Common Gallinule, Amer. Avocet, Black-necked Stilt, Marsh Wren, Least Bittern (at least hearing calling males), Red-winged Blackbird, and others. A thorough birding of the HBVP should produce 45-50 species in late May. addendum: in May you can be reasonably sure of seeing two of three hummingbirds: Costa's, Anna's, Black-chinned at visitor center feeders.

For some things (Lucy's Warbler, N Harrier, Cooper's Hawk) the odds are better in the Wetlands Park, about a mile to the north, off the east end of Tropicana.

The WMA should be open on memorial day, at least to park in the entrance lot and walk in.

Will

Last edited:
Thoroughly recommend Henderson, nearly all of those birds quoted by Will seen on my visit in October 2010 also, although couldn't find Roadrunner (seen later at Corn Creek). Friendly staff, easy to get to, life Crissal Thrashers (walk away views), all good.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back