• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Spain (1 Viewer)

Jon Turner

Been out here in Andalucia for over a week now and we are wet, wet, wet!!

More rain in the last couple of months than in the last 20 years has flooded rivers and fields, ruined crops and washed away roads. All a bit trying.

However, yesterday the rain relented and in a walk around our village (Jimena de la Frontera) I saw a kettle of Black Kites - about a hundred birds all generally heading north.

Today I saw another Red-rumped Swallow (three at the mouth of the Guadiaro a couple of days ago). Also, a first-winter Black Stork (which is presumably a wintering bird) seen recently by a resident friend.

The House Martins are already prospecting their nest sites and more Swallows arrive every day.

Home again next Friday

Best

Jon

The rain seems to have been quite extraordinary and photos show many areas to have been badly flooded. This is, naturally, a disaster for many locals who've endured flooded houses and water logged fields. On the other hand, La Janda seems to be trying to turn itself back into a lake. Perhaps such floods might help promote plans to re-create part of La Janda as a wetland if only as a way to prevent flooding. Funny to think that only a few years ago there were fears that many of the local reservoirs would never properly fill due to unprecedented string of dry winters. I'll be interested to hear what you see in the next few days. Certainly, with this much rain suggests that habitats could be in prime condition for the spring!

Hi Jon.

I am from a village in the northern province of Seville and this is the wettest winter in recent years in Andalucia. I was there at Christmas and could not approach the Brazo del Este, near Seville, having water flooded roads. But this has not prevented so that they look the usual ornithological oddities in the area of Cadiz, Huelva and Seville when the weather permitted.

In my case, unable to go to the arm or the East coast, osbervación enjoyed the most representative species of the Sierra Norte de Sevilla, as the three owls in the middle of mating season, an osprey, eagle imperial eagle, Bonelli knobbed coot, Bean Goose and the many small birds that inhabit this little known corner of Andalucía, and seizing the opportunity, I invite you all to visit.

Best

Rafa

Hi Rafa,
Good to hear from you. There's so much of Spain I still long to explore. I've been to Aracena and thought it fabulous. I certainly want to go back there too!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back