• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Yellow or Pale White-eye? - Near Arusha, Tanzania (1 Viewer)

HaydenB

Canada
These were near Arusha NP on August 16th. A small group was seen in the canopy of medium-elevation (maybe 1500m?) forest.
IMG_3041.JPGIMG_3043.JPGIMG_3045.JPG

Thank you,
Hayden

Hi Hayden,

Welcome to Bird Forum.

In recent years a lot of genetic studies (and voice studies) have been done on White-eyes around the world, and as a result the White-eyes have been split into a large number of species (not just sub-species). Southern Yellow White-eye (Zosterops anderssoni) was formerly a southern African sub-species of African White-eye (Zosterops senegalensis) which latter has kept the binomial but been renamed Northern Yellow White-eye. Pale White-eye (Zosterops flavilateralis) has been re-named Kenyan White-eye according to 'Birds of East Africa'. However, these various re-namings have not spread everywhere yet.

Anyway, I think your choice in Arusha is between the renamed Kenyan / Pale and Northern Yellow / African.

The bad news is that I have no idea myself how to tell these apart.

The good news is that Brian Small who did half of the illustrations in 'Birds of East Africa' comes to this forum regularly, and with luck he will see this thread and comment. Although I think the White-eye illustrations in this book were actually done by his colleague John Gale.

Of course someone else who has experience of these birds may answer first.

Anyway just hold on for a while and I'm sure you'll get an informed reply.

I just don't think these images are helpful for ID.

The one showing a hint of strong yellow on hindneck and mantle suggests Southern Yellow, as mantle of Pale generally has a greenish hue, however we can't see other features such as primary projection, etc.

[A warning, don't trust some of the images posted on eBird as either species...]

Brian

The one showing a hint of strong yellow on hindneck and mantle suggests Southern Yellow, as mantle of Pale generally has a greenish hue, however we can't see other features such as primary projection, etc.

Thank you for replying Brian. You mention 'Southern Yellow' but I thought that in Arusha it would be 'Northern Yellow'?

Brian,
any advances in ID since I posted this thread, four years ago?

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

I found this picture as well; this might be a better view for those couple features. With the quick views I had I figured that I would end up leaving them as unknown white-eye sp. anyways.

Thanks for all the information,
Hayden

Attachments

• IMG_3037.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 7
Around Arusha you have Pale White-eye (Zosterops flavilateralis flavilateralis) and occasionally Broad-ringed White-eye (Z. eurycricotus). See attachments: Scopes paper and Tanzanian Atlas map by Neil Baker.

Attachments

• East Africa White-eyes.pdf
    740.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Tanzanian White-eyes.jpg
    Tanzanian White-eyes.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back