• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish Insects (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
Taken recently in southern Spain.

A couple of Ant-lion/Lacewing relatives:
Nemoptera sinuata (amazing large insect with hugely elongated hindwings)
Libelloides coccajus (a fast flying ascalaphid)

Epilachna chrysomelina (Twelve-spotted Melon Beetle?)
A very large orthopteran: either Migratory Locust or Egyptian Grasshopper I think.
Another large insect - perhaps some sort of rove beetle

thanks for any assistance with the IDs.

Attachments

• nemoptera_sinuata_23may05_420.jpg
    nemoptera_sinuata_23may05_420.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 265
  • libelloides_coccajus_23may05_420.jpg
    libelloides_coccajus_23may05_420.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 258
  • epilachna_chrysomelina_21may05_420.jpg
    epilachna_chrysomelina_21may05_420.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 244
  • ortho_21may05_640.jpg
    ortho_21may05_640.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 282
  • beetle_22may05_420.jpg
    beetle_22may05_420.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 337
The odd-looking, large, wingless insect in the last picture looks like a kind of Oil Beetle, perhaps a Meloe species. Does anyone recognise it? It cropped up in several places in Southern Spain so I think its reasonably common. Thanks.

Here are a couple more. I think the first is Blue-winged Grasshopper (Oedipoda caerulescens), but then I could see the blue wings when it flew.

If anyone could help with a name for the large "Robot Wars" beetle I'd be very grateful.

Attachments

• blue-winged_grasshopper_22may05_420.jpg
    blue-winged_grasshopper_22may05_420.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 185
  • beetle2_22may05_420.jpg
    beetle2_22may05_420.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 189
First one top: some sort of Euroleon or Myrmeleon or Palpares (suborder Planipenna - fam Myrmeleonidae)

Thanks André

I think semipunctatus should have a more deeply pitted pronotum but I'm not at all sure.

Here is another insect that was common in the area but I can't find a name. Any ideas?

Attachments

• beetle3_23may05_420.jpg
    beetle3_23may05_420.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 154
A couple more insects from Southern Spain in May for ID. I think the dragon might be Keeled Skimmer Orthetrum coerulescens. And could I have another go at the black and red chap please?

Any help gratefully received. :h?:

Attachments

• beetle_21may05_420_20.jpg
    beetle_21may05_420_20.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 174
  • dragon_22may05_420_20.jpg
    dragon_22may05_420_20.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 200
  • beetle3_23may05_420.jpg
    beetle3_23may05_420.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 149
Are these really that hard? The red beetle was particularly common in the area and I'm sure someone must have the name. Please? :flowers:

Hi again Brian,
No. 3 is probably Mylabris quadripunctata (what a suitable name!).
Those black spots are variable in size and shape. Larvae develop on the ground on eggparcels of locusts. Mediterranean.

André

The dragonfly is, I think, a female black tailed skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum). The keeled skimmer has very fine black lines down the centre of the abdomen, rather than the scalloped pattern down the edges.

Many thanks for all your help. Elsewhere I've had another vote for Pimelia species (there are apparently a few possibilties from the pic) and a couple more for Black-tailed Skimmer. I didn't realise tenerals could show pterostigmata like this. In particular thanks to André as I have had no other takers for the Mylabris, which looks an excellent call to me.

Epilachna

Better late than never! Your Epilachna chrysomelina, melon ladybird is what we know as Epilachna argus, the bryony ladybird! I've been meaning to check on this for some time ... thanks for the reminder.
Paul
brianhstone said:
Taken recently in southern Spain.

A couple of Ant-lion/Lacewing relatives:
Nemoptera sinuata (amazing large insect with hugely elongated hindwings)
Libelloides coccajus (a fast flying ascalaphid)

Epilachna chrysomelina (Twelve-spotted Melon Beetle?)
A very large orthopteran: either Migratory Locust or Egyptian Grasshopper I think.
Another large insect - perhaps some sort of rove beetle

thanks for any assistance with the IDs.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back