• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

Sazzyox

United Kingdom
Hi all, genuine question, how do you stop yourself feeling bad for the birds you feed that the sparrowhawk takes? I understand the whole nature part. But when I see obviously birds being swiped and the awful noise, it constantly goes round my head about the bird that it caught, how it feels to be taken, knowing it can’t get away. My head literally goes into overdrive. I love feeding our birds and we have so many starlings and blackbirds and sparrows. But I just can’t kick the feeling of guilt even though I know it’s nature. I know it takes a while for them to kill bigger birds over sparrows. But I can’t stop thinking about it and just wondering if anyone else ever feels the same? Please no harsh comments. Like I say, I know it’s nature but the feeling of it kills me and I just can’t get it out my head.

Hi all, genuine question, how do you stop yourself feeling bad for the birds you feed that the sparrowhawk takes? I understand the whole nature part. But when I see obviously birds being swiped and the awful noise, it constantly goes round my head about the bird that it caught, how it feels to be taken, knowing it can’t get away. My head literally goes into overdrive. I love feeding our birds and we have so many starlings and blackbirds and sparrows. But I just can’t kick the feeling of guilt even though I know it’s nature. I know it takes a while for them to kill bigger birds over sparrows. But I can’t stop thinking about it and just wondering if anyone else ever feels the same? Please no harsh comments. Like I say, I know it’s nature but the feeling of it kills me and I just can’t get it out my head.
Sorry guys, don’t know where to add this. Still newish to working the site.

I'm just going to step in here since others haven't. Bad feelings tend to focus on a very restricted view, so you could try to broaden it. For example you could try to like the hawk too, which also needs to survive, and you may be making its life a bit easier today. And otherwise it would have to eat a bird somewhere else anyway, which you just wouldn't see. And meanwhile all the other birds get to eat there and fly away, just as you intended... does this help?

Last edited:
Hi sazzyok,
You are not alone feeling like this about the sparrowhawk. For me, it's my favourite bird. I love it. I love the challenge of trying to find one on my walks with my best friend. They are very secretive and seem to know you are there and go before you even know you've been in their presence. In winter they are easier to see because of the trees have lost their leaves.
Maybe you should look at them differently. Admire their stealth, their acrobatics, and enjoy them.
I don't like the fact they sometime take my garden birds, I don't own my garden birds but I feel like I do. I have never seen a sparrowhawk kill but then come across when they are feeding. Maybe put your feeders near an escape route for the garden birds to escape too.
The biggest important fact to tell yourself is... sparrowhawk do not control the population of your garden birds but your garden birds control the population of sparrowhawks. A big health pop of garden birds will attract a hawk or two.
I find the most horrible and destructive bird to have around, and I hate this bird, and that is the magpie. They are bird killers, nest destroyers and bullies. If I see a pile of magpie feathers in my garden and the sparrowhawks has been fed then I feel my garden is in a better shape.

Last edited:
I'm just going to step in here since others haven't. Bad feelings tend to focus on a very restricted view, so you could try to broaden it. For example you could try to like the hawk too, which also needs to survive, and you may be making its life a bit easier today. And otherwise it would have to eat a bird somewhere else anyway, which you just wouldn't see. And meanwhile all the other birds get to eat there and fly away, just as you intended... does this help?
Thank you. That’s how I try to look at it, I know the sparrowhawks need to feed also which is why I try block out any noise or such when I know they are in the garden but it’s just so hard.
I never said I never liked the sparrowhawks, they’re beautiful birds and I’ve taken many photos of ours, including when they’ve caught their food. I understand your point, again, it’s not that I dislike them, it’s simply just my post was asking if anyone felt the same when they feed their garden birds and this happens. Our sparrowhawks are probably the most spoilt for choice in our garden. But like I said, it was simply more to the point does anyone ever feel like because I feed them, I grow a bit attached to them. I can sit and watch the owls hunt, and I don’t feel the same as when the sparrowhawks hunt in the garden, which I think is more I’ve grown attached to the garden birds. (I also mean “our” as in just because they visit. Not that I own them. Just to make that clear 🤣🤣🤣!! But it was just pretty much wondering if other people feel as rotten as me for feeding the birds and making it easier for our sprawks to hunt.

Hi sazzyok,
You are not alone feeling like this about the sparrowhawk. For me, it's my favourite bird. I love it. I love the challenge of trying to find one on my walks with my best friend. They are very secretive and seem to know you are there and go before you even know you've been in their presence. In winter they are easier to see because of the trees have lost their leaves.
Maybe you should look at them differently. Admire their stealth, their acrobatics, and enjoy them.
I don't like the fact they sometime take my garden birds, I don't own my garden birds but I feel like I do. I have never seen a sparrowhawk kill but then come across when they are feeding. Maybe put your feeders near an escape route for the garden birds to escape too.
The biggest important fact to tell yourself is... sparrowhawk do not control the population of your garden birds but your garden birds control the population of sparrowhawks. A big health pop of garden birds will attack a hawk or two.
I find the most horrible and destructive bird to have around, and I hate this bird, and that is the magpie. They are bird killers, nest destroyers and bullies. If I see a pile of magpie feathers in my garden and the sparrowhawks has been fed then I feel my garden is in a better shape.
Oh don’t get me wrong, they are beautiful. We had a young female and male not so long ago, which I’m assuming is from our normal visitors. You’re more than welcome to take our sprawks if you wish 🤣🤣! But no, I know that they have to feed also, and it’s life, but it’s more the case I’m so attached to the garden birds and just feel like I owe them even though I know they’re wild birds not pets. We have plenty magpies too, which I do make sure there’s plenty food out for them also during spring as they like to steal eggs from our neighbours bushes and we’ve already declined in blackbirds in our garden. Not sure if that’s because of my neighbours cat(which I hate when they leave him out during spring), but he spends more time in our house nowadays anyway because he’s just a “cat” to them, but to us, we try protect him from the main road too. Of course if he wants to be out, we can’t keep him in due to him not being ours, but the sprawks the biggest killer in our garden. I’m also using “our” because it’s our garden, and I know they’re not my birds 🤣, but I can happily sit watching the barn owls hunting mice and whatever else and not feel guilt? So I think my problem lies that I’ve grown too attached to the garden birds. But it’s just an awful feeling that I can’t turn off so was hoping I wasn’t the only one that felt this bad when they get the birds. They do love to pose for the camera. They know I’m always watching but my presence doesn’t even phase them 🤣🤣! Thank you for replying!

Attachments

• 3354454A-AA29-44A4-9008-E77798F28DFC.jpeg
    3354454A-AA29-44A4-9008-E77798F28DFC.jpeg
    804.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 76613BA0-B36D-4A52-B447-89E2BA5F74A5.jpeg
    76613BA0-B36D-4A52-B447-89E2BA5F74A5.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 3F99FAA0-EE9B-4044-85A2-6EB5999EEDEA.jpeg
    3F99FAA0-EE9B-4044-85A2-6EB5999EEDEA.jpeg
    572.7 KB · Views: 6
  • B2E43400-355E-40AC-9B50-AF4782FEA477.jpeg
    B2E43400-355E-40AC-9B50-AF4782FEA477.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 6
Snazzy thanks for your kind reply and beautiful photos. I do love a sparrowhawk picture. Ever since one almost run me over flying low and at speed between some garages where we played when I was young. I've been captivated every since. I deliberately try not to see them catch their prey and never have but I have come across them while dining.
I feel just like you when they come to the garden as I view the song birds as mine and if they go over the fence to someone else's feeder then they are stealing🤣🤣
Fortunately or unfortunately I haven't notice a sparrowhawk in my garden for over a decade. I stopped feeding birds.
I've refound my love of birds a few years ago while walking my best friend and coming across some buzzards where I used to play and make mischief.
I've started to redo garden but that's been on hold as it's rained everyday in West Yorkshire since march. I put up some old feeders and the birds started to come back. Since I've bought new feeders and now when I get home from work my wife tells me about the visitors to our feeders.
I'm sure now the song birds are back flocking to my feeders it won't be long for the sparrowhawk to have a nosey. As normal I will try to avoid the kill but enjoy having such a magnificent bird in my space.
Cheers

Last edited:
Sorry - somehow I missed this. Welcome to Birdforum!

I understand your feelings. We regularly have visits from sparrowhawks, but they tend to go for the woodpigeons. I do feel sorry, but, as you say, it’s all part of nature.

Hi Sazzyox and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. We'd love to see some of your pictures in the Gallery too you know.

I suppose we all feel rather sorry for the one that was caught, much like we feel when a friend has died. But as long as I know I've done my best for them I don't feel guilty, realising that Sparrowhawks play an enormous part in maintaining a healthy ecology in the area. Knowing when a Sprawk is around is very important; as soon as I see all the feeding birds freeze (or rush to the hedge) I know there's one arrived. I'm very careful not to approach the window as I don't want to scare any of the remaining feeder birds, often one on my window feeder.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Sazzyox and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. We'd love to see some of your pictures in the Gallery too you know.

I suppose we all feel rather sorry for the one that was caught, much like we feel when a friend has died. But as long as I know I've done my best for them I don't feel guilty, realising that Sparrowhawks play an enormous part in maintaining a healthy ecology in the area. Knowing when a Sprawk is around is very important; as soon as I see all the feeding birds freeze (or rush to the hedge) I know there's one arrived. I'm very careful not to approach the window as I don't want to scare any of the remaining feeder birds, often one on my window feeder.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Hi! Thank you, I will start and share my photos, I have many. I’m not a pro photographer but I’m not that bad if I say so myself haha! But yes, I agree, luckily our visitors have trees to hide in. Except during winter, they struggle. But I’m hoping that they will all get through it. Thank you for your reply. ☺️

Sorry - somehow I missed this. Welcome to Birdforum!

I understand your feelings. We regularly have visits from sparrowhawks, but they tend to go for the woodpigeons. I do feel sorry, but, as you say, it’s all part of nature.
Thank you. Yeah I think we’re lucky to never have seen pigeon feathers spread out. We have pigeons and doves visit regularly but never witnessed any of the sprawks taking them. I guess little birds are easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back