• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring in Cyprus (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Following a wonderfully mild and sunny winter, spring seems to be arriving early here. Everywhere is green and lush and the last couple of days have seen a small number of Barn Swallows passing through. Greenfinches and Great Tits are all singing and as I write, a Song Thrush is in full song just outside.

We've also had sighting of several reptiles in the last few days which seems very early to me, certainly compared to last year.

Last edited:
A very early warm spell, 24c today.

Had a surprise in the form of a Hoopoe which I didn't expect so early. On the butterfly front, Clouded Yellows are everywhere, a single Blue was seen and on date alone it was probably a Paphos Blue, plenty of Cyprus Meadow Browns too.

On the reptile front, Spiny-footed Lizards were very active and abundant on the trail I walk.

Last edited:
A very early warm spell, 24c today.

Had a surprise in the form of a Hoopoe which I didn't expect so early. On the butterfly front, Clouded Yellows are everywhere, a single Blue was seen and on date alone it was probably a Paphos Blue, plenty of Cyprus Meadow Browns too.

On the reptile front, Comb-footed Lizards were very active and abundant on the trail I walk.
Hoopoe here in SW Turkey also. Extremely mild weather for over a week but still unexpected (by me).

I can't find this one here (List of reptiles of Cyprus - Wikipedia) either; is A. erythrurus (Spiny-footed Lizard) an introduced species or is A. schreiberi (Schreiber's Fringe-fingered Lizard) a recent split from it/junior synonym of it?
Sorry, I thought I replied to this this morning, I am senile, I did call it by the wrong name and it is indeed Spiny-footed Lizard.

Edit: I did reply, post 5.

I see now that you referred to the genus Acanthodactylus, and one of its common names as per Wikipedia is 'spiny-toed lizards'. Meanwhile, I was looking at the Cyprus reptile list, and it's home to only one representative of Acanthodactylus: A. schreiberi, Schreiber's fringe-fingered lizard. Tricky for me, esp. with all the alternative common names.

Last edited:
I see now that you referred to the genus Acanthodactylus, and one of its common names as per Wikipedia is 'spiny-toed lizards'. Meanwhile, I was looking at the Cyprus reptile list, and it's home to only one representative of Acanthodactylus: A. schreiberi, Schreiber's fringe-fingered lizard. Tricky for me, esp. with all the alternative common names.
Never seen it called that personally.

Saw something today tthat I've never seen before, a murmaration of House Sparrows. Location was beachside fields and the birds were landing in very tall grasses, a couple of hundred at a guess and they were flying in formation, twisting and turning in waves, just like Starlings.
Historic texts full of stories of large House Sparrow flocks..... No more sadly.

All the best

Paul

Sad indeed Paul, just about clinging on in our Norfolk village, surprisingly nesting under the roof pantiles of a fairly modern house next door, despite me erecting an expensive Sparrow terrace - they just pinch the straw and dried grass I put in the entrance holes.
Any Spanish amongst that murmaration Andy that you noticed?

Sad indeed Paul, just about clinging on in our Norfolk village, surprisingly nesting under the roof pantiles of a fairly modern house next door, despite me erecting an expensive Sparrow terrace - they just pinch the straw and dried grass I put in the entrance holes.
Any Spanish amongst that murmaration Andy that you noticed?
Yes, a few Pat but actually, I don't see Spanish here very often at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back