• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starlings, millions of them? (1 Viewer)

oldgiteggy

A Valley Birder
Driving through West Wales, my wife and I had to stop the car on the A40 near Slebech (west of Narbeth) to watch untold tens of thousands of starlings heading for a roost. Looking straight up, they filled your field of view and the vast numbers of birds filling the sky were all travelling in the same direction (unlike the Bill Oddie video on Spring/Autumnwatch). Driving further on, we pinpointed their destination as somewhere near Oakwood Theme Park in Pembrokeshire. Anyone know of this roost?

Last edited:
oldgiteggy said:
Driving through West Wales, my wife and I had to stop the car on the A40 near Slebech (west of Narbeth) to watch untold tens of thousands of starlings heading for a roost. Looking straight up, they filled your field of view and the vast numbers of birds filling the sky were all travelling in the same direction (unlike the Bill Oddie video on Spring/Autumnwatch). Driving further on, we pinpointed their destination as somewhere near Oakwood Theme Park in Pembrokeshire. Anyone know of this roost?
i can't help you there but i,m also dying to see them after so many views of bill oddies brilliant film so if anyone knows of a roost in the suffolk area i would love to know

Can't help either but Starlings have started arriving here - yesterday I saw many flocks coming in, must have been tired as they were trying to daylight roost in palm trees but they couldn't all fit so they took off into the town heading for a tree in the churchyard that they used years ago - the roost then got so out of control that the tree was severely cut back but it has since grown. Be interesting to see if the roost re-establishes as it was the greatest natural event I've witnessed, after shorting out the power lines at Marazion with their weight (every day) they'd come into St Ives darkening the skies with their magic silhouette show. The roost was in the bottom of a valley giving stunning views from above of the birds coming in at eye level.
The smell and danger to pedestrians put an end to it - the playing of various bird recordings was hilarious though as the Starlings ignored them.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back